X11 for OSX

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have downloaded it, but have not tried it as of yet.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Well, I've gotten this running, and I can get X11 apps to work as well. Currently I am using gkrellm. Which is an EXCELLENT system monitor. Unfortunetly it is only available as an older version for darwin, and it doesn't actually monitor everything that is should. I will have to see if I can find a way to update it to the latest version. If anybody knows how to do this, I would be most gratefuly! :)

So, it looks like Apple is going for total domination. With X11 available now, there is incentive for linux users to switch as well ( If they aren't already using OSX already :) ). All we need now is a 2 Ghz processor and Apple will be ready for world domination.

I must say tha t I have been using my Mac almost exclusively ( except for the e-mail situation I'm in ) and I find it quite enjoyable.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that I have the X application loaded, how do I get it to run. I am use to the xhost, xterm, and X comand line commands.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to run X11 app form the command line, or add them to the applications dropdown. Took me a while to figure it out too. Double click on the X11 in the Applications folder to get it running, then run things from the command line.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple's implementation of X11 is quite amazing. I've been able to run quite a few linux apps. From IRC clients, to system monitors, to graphics applications. Good job Apple. I can't wait to see how they improve upon this to take it outta beta.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx for that notice, I miss that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
X11 for Panther now available

Source: MacMinute.com

X11 for Panther now available
October 28, 2003 - 16:20 EST Apple has released the final 1.0 version of X11, its implementation of the X Window System for running X11-based applications in Mac OS X. The software, which has been in beta version since January 2003 for Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar, includes the full X11R6.6 technology including an X11 window server, Quartz window manager, libraries, and basic utilities such as xterm. According to Apple, X11 1.0 requires Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, and is available as an optional install on retail Panther CDs or as a download from the company's Web site.

My Comments: After seeing all the problems people are having with Panther.. I think I might wait for an upgrade or two.. or at least until I have the dough and time to get it and go through some of the headaches I might have :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of problems, are you seeing? The majority of the things I have seen are good.

B

blackmyst

The only problem that I've been having is to activate font anti-aliasing (smoothing) in X11 apps. It's gotten to the point to where I don't want to run them anymore!

K

khinester

I've setup X11 that comes with OSX and have installed FinkCommander, but everytime I try to add an application the application asks to install a different version of X11, what am I missing?

Also if I want to install windowmaker as my default window manager or is there a window manger with the OSX?

Cheers

S

shadov

khinester said:
I've setup X11 that comes with OSX and have installed FinkCommander, but everytime I try to add an application the application asks to install a different version of X11, what am I missing?

Also if I want to install windowmaker as my default window manager or is there a window manger with the OSX?

Cheers
http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-packages.php#apple-x11-wants-xfree86

By default X11 runs side by side and integrated to Apple's Aqua so there is no need for additional window manager. You can run X11 in full screen mode though, but then you loose Aqua. And if you don't want Aqua, you can as well go all the way and run Linux or BSD or bare Darwin. That's just IMHO of course.

I have a question too. I can't paste in X11. I can copy from X11 and paste to Aqua but not the other way around. Does anybody know about fix or workaround? I'm running OS X 10.3.2 and Apple's X11.
<edit> Never mind, I found the solution </edit>

R

ridertech

X11 developer package in panther?

I just got a new 12" PowerBook w/ 10.3.2 pre-installed.

Under Applications > Installers > Developer Tools > Packages, I found X11SDK.pkg and double-clicked it thinking it would install X11 for me. The problem is that I'm not sure what it did (if anything). I ran the following command in the terminal...

locate x11 | less

It found a bunch under /sw/fink, but more importantly /usr/X11R6

What else do I need to do? Someone mentioned creating a link in Applications on this thread, but I have not found anything relating to this. I'm willing to start over and download the latest X11 from Apple, but is it okay to just delete the /usr/X11R6 directory?

T

tachyon

ridertech said:
I just got a new 12" PowerBook w/ 10.3.2 pre-installed.

Under Applications > Installers > Developer Tools > Packages, I found X11SDK.pkg and double-clicked it thinking it would install X11 for me.

X11 is not installed by default. You have to get the Install & Restore CD/DVD that came with your machine, put it in and there is a X11.pkg file that can be double-clicked. It will launch the Installer app, and install Apple's X11.

Alternatively you can install XDarwin from the Sourceforge website. If you choose this option make sure you download all the updates to make it compatible with 10.3 before you launch it.

After that you ought to get Fink installed to facilitate installing X11 software.

Reaction score
tachyon said:
You have to get the Install & Restore CD/DVD that came with your machine, put it in and there is a X11.pkg file that can be double-clicked. It will launch the Installer app, and install Apple's X11.

A note of clarification for Powerbook G4 (12" 1.33GHz), the install package is located on Disk 1 of the Software Install and Restore CD:

/Volumes/PowerBook Software/System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg

If the System/ folder is not visible in a Finder directory window, then use a terminal process to open that directory and view the available packages:

% cd /Volumes/PowerBook\ Software/System/Installation
% open Packages

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.