Nervous question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
So, I'm having a great time using my new mac but if I were a windows user right now I'd already have to be running defrags and getting rid of temporary files. I've downloaded, installed, and deleted so much in the past three days that it's scarey.

Question 1:
I know people say macs don't get bogged down like pc's but is there anything I can do on a mac to make sure everything's clean so to say and in it's correct place, and there aren't any missing pieces left behind?

Question 2:
Also one thing that I'm finding irritating is that some how all of my pictures and videos there is doubles of now. I mean there is 2 physical of all of them, I have no idea how I made that happen, is there a quick way to make it go away though, I mean yuck videos are a space hog I don't need more then one copy of each.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
1. Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. From there on run a disk permissions check once in a way.

2. Are both the files located in the same directory? If not, which directories are they located in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
So, I'm having a great time using my new mac but if I were a windows user right now I'd already have to be running defrags and getting rid of temporary files. I've downloaded, installed, and deleted so much in the past three days that it's scarey.

Question 1:
I know people say macs don't get bogged down like pc's but is there anything I can do on a mac to make sure everything's clean so to say and in it's correct place, and there aren't any missing pieces left behind?
From what I've seen in a number of replies, Mac is quite self sufficient, but Onyx and/or MainMenu seem to be excellent free progs for various tasks. Keep in mind that everything wears out so I'm not sure if defragging a lot would be a good idea...

Question 2:
Also one thing that I'm finding irritating is that some how all of my pictures and videos there is doubles of now. I mean there is 2 physical of all of them, I have no idea how I made that happen, is there a quick way to make it go away though, I mean yuck videos are a space hog I don't need more then one copy of each.
I'm finding the same with music and itunes, I haven't looked at my pictures yet :( Way back I copied all my mp3s to my PC by network and used the search to find dups and misnamed files... I'm trying that with parallels right now but I think it searches in an endless loop hehe but it finds them... I am also thinking of installing noclone or something on the pc parallels side because I haven't found and free mac alternatives ... yet.

Good luck and hopefully someone will give you some other solutions

OP
Corbri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
Goobi I'm not even sure how to tell. See what's weird is I've noticed it in iphoto and the ilife stuff. If I look on my hd I see them there too but they are named different. I've started deleting most of the ones I see but I'll take a look and edit this in a second about where there directory is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
When you have a finder window open, hit View > Show Path Bar. Then when you do a search, select each duplicate file and see where it is stored. It may be that you are deleting thumbnails created by iPhoto or something like that.

FYI, iPhoto copies all photos into it's own library so that might be one possible cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Download and use onxy, from a 20 year PC vetren this program made me feel better as it allows you to clean up all types of debris etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.