Defrag a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 duo 2.2ghz, 120 gig HDD, 4 gigs of RAM
Ok guys, I have a really stupid question. I want to use bootcamp to install XP Pro. I know that it will need to be maintained just like any Windows computer and that includes defragmenting. I have read and heard that defraging a mac can actually mess it up. So if i defrag the windows partition will that have any effect on the OSX side?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
When you install windows through bootcamp it will partition your hard drive. ie OS X will be on hard drive C and windows will be on hard drive D. Since windows doesn't recognize mac formated hard drives i don't think you will be able to defrag the mac partition anyway. So defragging shouldn't have any effect on the OS X side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Defragging your Windows partition is all good. You can't touch the OS X partition from Windows anyway (not unless you install MacDrive).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Defragging your Windows partition is all good. You can't touch the OS X partition from Windows anyway (not unless you install MacDrive).

Is that entirely true? To my knowledge when using Bootcamp you boot fully into Windows. At that point Windows can see other partitions, even if it can't read them. A user could reformat one of those other partitions if they opened up Computer Management and saw what looked like unused/unknown drives.

That being said, defrag should only be available on drives Windows knows about, so you shouldn't be able to defrag the OS X partition without first decided to format it was NTFS or some such Windows disk format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You can't see the Mac partition from Windows. That's a definite. When in Windows, it will only show you C:.

OP
gunslinger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 duo 2.2ghz, 120 gig HDD, 4 gigs of RAM
Thanks guys. I have worked on PCs for years but I'm brand new to the world of Mac. I'm taking baby steps right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I have read and heard that defraging a mac can actually mess it up. So if i defrag the windows partition will that have any effect on the OSX side?
I'm curious as to what damage... The only reference I can find is that if you stop it in the middle or power outage or something.

Also Parallels sees the mac, I often do searches with windows on my mac (it's easier to find files and minor differences in them, especially with itunes). So does this apply to that?

thank you..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm curious as to what damage... The only reference I can find is that if you stop it in the middle or power outage or something.

The Windows Defragment tools can't defragment other filesystems, so there's no need for concern there. Even if you had a program like MacDrive that you could mount your Mac partition in Windows, the deframent tool needs to "get at the guts" of the filesystem, and since NTFS and HFS+ don't speak the same language, it will just error out.

Also Parallels sees the mac, I often do searches with windows on my mac (it's easier to find files and minor differences in them, especially with itunes). So does this apply to that?

thank you..

No, because the way Parallels mounts the Mac partition is akin to connecting to it via a network connection. In short, the host OS handles reads/writes, not the client OS. While the full-blown version of Diskeeper can defragment over a network, the limited version built into Windows can not. Even if it could, Diskeeper requires that a service be installed on the target machine in order to do so. Since the service is geared toward Windows, even that wouldn't work.

So, probably more information than you wanted to know, but that's OK because I like to hear myself speak sometimes :D

Oh, one more thing - you don't generally need to defragment an HFS+ partition as OS X handles defragment chores on-the-fly. The only time defragmentation is usually needed is when a volume is regularly in use at or near capacity. In those instances, a tool like iDefrag can be run manually against it.

Inevitably, someone will reply with the argument that they feel like their Mac runs faster when they run iDefrag on it - and that's OK, but what I'm relaying above seems to be the consensus of most the threads on the subject. Also, see Apple's stance on fragmentation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
You can't see the Mac partition from Windows. That's a definite. When in Windows, it will only show you C:.

Depends on what you mean by 'see'.

I don't have Boot Camp but I do have Linux and XP installed on my laptop using the Grub loader which is the same principle. If you boot into Windows and run Disk Management, then you can see the Linux partitions, and while you can't read the contents, (Windows doesn't understand EXT and calls them 'Unknown' partitions) you could certainly delete them if you were mad enough ;D

Surely the same is true of Boot Camp because the Windows Disk Management tool gets it's info from the partition table of each physical disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.