huge iPhoto problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Okay so I have my setting in my iPhoto prefrences not to copy my imported files into my iPhoto library...so here's two problems:

1. When I delete an image out of my photos and then empty the trash, I just discovered that they are still there on my hard drive!!!! Is there any way when you hit delete the actual images get deleted???

2. I also just discovered that there are duplicates of these images in a "originals" folder in my iPhoto library folder!! I purposely keep all my images on an external hard drive so that I don't have to have any on my MBP hard drive, yet I just found my entire collection!!!! ahhhh. Any help???

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I also noticed...any pictures I have edited in iPhoto get saved on my hard drive and not on my external where the original picture is!! This is not what I want it to be doing at all...any way to fix this??

I am getting parallels soon so should I just get picasa on there and manage pictures on windows??

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have any idea what is going on with my files??? And how I get them to all stay within the folders I created instead of all those weird iPhoto folders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I refuse to use iPhoto because of it's management system (or lack of). I can't help you there.

I use Aperture for organizing my photo library and it works well, although it is overkill for what I use it for. Others seem to prefer Adobe Lightroom. Unfortunately, neither of these options are free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16 GHz 1 GB Mem.
If you drag iphoto to AppDelete and empty the trash, problem solved. The computer is just a tool, make it do what you want it to. ---robtg

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha thanks...but any alternatives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Don't use iphoto :)

Get lightroom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Just an idea. Why not take your iPhoto folder from the finder and drag it to your extern disk. Launch iPhoto and it will say it can't find your folder you can then point to it using the pane displayed. Having you folder on your extern will save you space on your Laptop

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.