Setting up multiple displays on MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1Ghz C2D MacBook, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I have my MacBook connected to a monitor that can go up to 1440X900. I want to just have a mirror image, but the MacBook display only goes to 1280X800, so it wont fill up the entire screen.

Is there any way around this? I was under the impression that I could just hook it to an external display with a higher resolution, and it would work at that monitors max resolution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Monitors are mirrored. Resolutions will be the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
You will have to go into system preferences, displays, then arrangements. You can also adjust your resolutions, and which monitor is your primary and secondary monitor once you take it out of mirror mode.

OP
ecodisk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I see, you can drag the menu bar to the second display, that's exactly what I wanted.

I just found this on google also though.
http://www.livingdigitally.net/2006/10/using_an_extern.html

If you close your laptop, you can actually get the full resolution of your external display. Put your MacBook to sleep, connect your external display and an external monitor, and wake the computer up by pressing any key. You will have full use of your external display while your laptop is closed.

If you really want to have your MacBook open while only using an external display, after following the procedure above, you can open your MacBook, and it's screen will remain off

Will this be safe to try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
OP
ecodisk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes but it doesn't work, because as soon as my MacBook wakes up, so does the display. Not only that, but how are you expected to press a key with the lid down? :Smirk:

On my usb keyboard or mouse :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.