• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Downloading Music Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
so, here's my dilemma. for my new years resolution i gave up downloading free music thru blogs, filesharing and what-not. but, i made up my own rule that it's ok to download an album that you've already bought. or bought a long time ago and lost. this way, its just like getting your album that you've bought off of your own FTP site or something. just wanna see what other people's thought are on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You shouldn't be so careless as to lose an album. If you have a copy, drop it in the dray and hit import.
Talking about illegal file sharing is against the rules here. :)

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cant even talk about it? sheesh. and sorry, i have over 500 albums and ive moved a couple times so i lost one here and there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forum Rules:

Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, i think your missing the point. i said i USED to download music. anyway, thanks for your "insight."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think when you buy the disc you own the rights to listen to the music on that disc. It'd be like going to iTunes and say, I own this album, let me download the files for free. Or telling the record companies to give you the album on vinyl for free if you owned the CD version.

Or, I could be completely wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, i think your missing the point. i said i USED to download music. anyway, thanks for your "insight."

Yes, you said you used to but you're asking if you can "make up your own rule" as you put it and download albums you own or once own, right? That's how I interpreted it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I think when you buy the disc you own the rights to listen to the music on that disc. It'd be like going to iTunes and say, I own this album, let me download the files for free. Or telling the record companies to give you the album on vinyl for free if you owned the CD version.

Or, I could be completely wrong.
That would be why it's legal to rip mp3's and listen to them on your iPod, or your car stereo etc. Historically it was fair use to have a backup anyway.. until the DMCA, which really was a blow against consumer rights that way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, the DMCA doesn't prohibit ripping CDs as there is no encryption to bypass as you would have to do on a commercial DVD. The RIAA recently tried to use the DMCA as a means to prohibit CD ripping, but it failed miserably.

Ethics just seem to be so variable as there are some people who have no problem whatsoever when it comes to downloading music, whereas for others it goes completely against their morals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the DMCA doesn't prohibit ripping CDs as there is no encryption to bypass as you would have to do on a commercial DVD. The RIAA recently tried to use the DMCA as a means to prohibit CD ripping, but it failed miserably.

Ethics just seem to be so variable as there are some people who have no problem whatsoever when it comes to downloading music, whereas for others it goes completely against their morals.
No, but the DMCA does prohibit having a backup of legally owned media (dvd's), for which there was no historical precedent. Although now that there's precedent I imagine the next audio media will be encrypted too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Beat me to it. :)

Right and I don't think we can comment on his dilemma. If we think it's ethical, he'll probably start downloading again. I guess on the other hand, he's already downloaded so even if we think it's wrong, he'll probably "make up his own rule" to make it OK to download illegally because he's already done it once before.

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there we go. this is the kind of dialogue i wanted to get started. its just a very interesting topic. i bet in 20 years there will be two camps sort of like Pro-choice and Pro-life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you can also examine that ethical != legal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, but the DMCA does prohibit having a backup of legally owned media (dvd's), for which there was no historical precedent. Although now that there's precedent I imagine the next audio media will be encrypted too.

Your argument is flawed.

You state that the DMCA prohibits having a backup of legally owned media. That's completely incorrect as it has a provision which allows for Fair Use. Having a backup copy of a movie itself isn't what's illegal, it's the breaking of the encryption that makes it illegal.

Now, we're talking about audio discs, which don't have encryption on them and will never have encryption for one very simple fact. Not a single CD player out there has the hardware to decrypt any encryption that may be put on a CD, unlike DVDs where every player has the means to decrypt the disc. If the recording industry were to encrypt the discs, it would essentially force everybody to buy new players that can decrypt these discs. You can imagine the fallout from such a poor decision.

You state that the next form of audio will have encryption. You must have forgotten about this little tidbit called DRM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.