Windows XP SP3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4GHz Duo, 4GB SDRAM, 250GB 5400rpm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I would stick with SP2 before it is officially supported.

There could be a few bugs. But I didn't the SP3 came out till next week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
This file is less than a 1MB. SP2 is 100MB+. I'm sure you will have to install SP2 anyway.

You can also install XP in Parallels and then download SP2 from the Microsoft site from within parallels using IE. You will have to select "download and install on multiple computers" or something to that effect. This allows you to save the SP2 file to your XP desktop. Once it's saved, you can run it from it's saved location.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en

I'm about to install parallels and was wondering how to go about doing things. I get the impression that I need to burn a Windows installation CD with SP2, so when I went to download it I came across the SP3 installation. Do you think I should take this instead or just stick with SP2?

You don't need to install any SP with Parallels, that's only for a bootcamp installation.

Just install the Windows version you have available, and let it go through its updates when completed. It will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You don't need to install any SP with Parallels, that's only for a bootcamp installation.

Just install the Windows version you have available, and let it go through its updates when completed. It will be fine.

I may be wrong about this, but I think the automatic update feature was part of SP2. You might have to install SP2 to get the automatic updates to start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I may be wrong about this, but I think the automatic update feature was part of SP2. You might have to install SP2 to get the automatic updates to start.

I did a reinstall of XP recently when I rebuilt my VM, and I have the original retail release of XP. The best thing to do is to open IE6 and go to Windows Updates in the menu. The 1st thing it will do is update the windows update! Then it will ask you to download about 200 things, but do it in this order

- SP2 (nothing else until this is done)
- .NET next (if you want this)
- IE7

Only then any others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac 2.0ghz w/ Superdrive. 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive w/ Leopard OS
I would stick with SP2 before it is officially supported.

There could be a few bugs. But I didn't the SP3 came out till next week.

It seems WU was posting it for some pc's as a release candidate a few weeks ago. I got it on my computer at work, but one of my pc's at home was never offered the opportunity.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4GHz Duo, 4GB SDRAM, 250GB 5400rpm
Installed with parallels but I have a seemingly common problem, it's saying my product key is incorrect. So basically I can't install SP2 or any Microsoft updates. The first time I have a problem with my MBP and it's because of Microsoft! Guess I'll have to give them a ring. Cheers for the advice guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Yeah, XP SP3 is still in beta.....and I being the WIndows lover I am, am staying away from it on my production machines until it's finished and I can test it on mule machines/VMs.....still pretty shakey and yes, it's not good enough yet.....stick with SP2 and all post SP2 fixes for now.

Reaction score
Non of my XP machines, real, virtual or otherwise, are getting SP3 until I'm reasonably certain it has not introduced new annoyances. I just wasted a day getting my home work group network intercommunicating again after a Windows update. The most obscure things sometimes get changed.

My Parallels (on Leopard) seems to be less finicky after I updated it a few days ago. I'm using Win2000 as my guest OS.

--- CHAS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.