MacBook Depreciation

huy

Reaction score
Very close to switching to a MacBook here!

So, who out there buys MB/MBP every summer/year?

I'm just wondering how much money you have to pull out of your pocket each year in order to upgrade, the cost when bought, the price when sold, etc. The more information the better.

I plan on buying a MacBook (maybe Pro but more likely MB because the only game I'm looking forward to is Starcraft 2, which is a long time from now) this summer and I want to sell it and buy a new MacBook every summer. How much do you guys think will be the cost every year after initially buying it?

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I would say $200-$300 a year. I sold mine at a $150 loss after owning it for 3 months.

Reaction score
Wow, you must be rich to be able to buy a new MacBook every year. Marry Me!

Seriously though, I don't think it will be necessary at all to buy a MacBook every year. Especially if you go with the MacBook Pro. What kinds of things are you going to be doing on it? Any video editing or anything resource intensive like that? I had my desktop for 5 years before I just upgraded and my old computer still works fine, though it's a tad slow for the kinds of video work I need to do. Internet and other normal things still work great.

I'm curious to see if anyone actually does this. It's actually blowing my mind thinking about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Buying a new computer every year seems fairly unnecessary to me.
I can't see any reason why it would matter. I have computers that are up to 9 years old and still running strong, doing what I need them to do, doing what they are supposed to do.
Even if you sell a computer and then buy one, it ends up costing you money in the long run to stay on the "bleeding edge" of technology.
Be happy with what you have and when it no longer serves its purpose, then replace it... which should not happen for a few years.

OP
H

huy

Reaction score
Trust me, I'm not rich. But I can get my money through summer jobs and work study, etc. I've stuck with this rip-off Sony VIAO PCV-RX580 for the past 6 years (?).

But I've been thinking, assuming the first reply is correct and I plan on keeping my laptop at most 4 years.

I have 2 choices:
Keep 1 MacBook for 4 years, throw leave it lying around, and buy a new one.
-$1400 (1st MB) -$1400 (2nd MB) - 4 Years.
Net Lost: -$2800

Buy a new MacBook and sell old one each year.
-$1400 (1st MB) + $1100 (Sell 1st) -$1400 (2nd MB) + $1100 (Sell 2nd) -$1400 (3rd MB) + $1100 (Sell 3rd) -$1400 (4th MB) - 4 years.
Net Lost: -$2300

I know it's not at all accurate, but it does seem to work out for me. Aside from the fact that in the first situation you'd have a 4 year old MB lying around which is probably worth the extra $500?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
assuming the first reply is correct
Then you would be assuming quite a bit.
Look at it this way... why would someone buy your old computer and save only $200 to $300 and end up with an older computer, when they could get a new one for not much more? Plus, they would get a full warranty with the new computer which they wouldn't get with yours.
A more realistic loss would be around 30% of your purchase price in the first year... and that is if the computer is still in pristine condition with all of the included discs, connectors and manuals.
Granted, some people are not that educated when it comes to older computers and might pay the higher cost. You can't count on that, though.
Also, you would have to go through the trouble of actually selling it before you can get the new one. There is no guarantee that you could sell it at all.

Buying a new computer every year just doesn't make any practical sense, no matter how you try to spin it.

OP
H

huy

Reaction score
I guess you're right D3v1L80Y, I'll buy a MacBook this summer and see how it goes from there.

Yes, I do keep every single one of my electronics with the best care. Almost as if I have OCD.

Also, going with your 30% lost per year. You would end up losing 190% buying/selling rather than losing 200% (but you do have an extra MB)... Selling that 4 year old MB would leave you with 176% loss (30% a year)

Thank you for all the help guys!

:)

P.S.: The members of this forum reply incredibly fast!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
Then you would be assuming quite a bit.
Look at it this way... why would someone buy your old computer and save only $200 to $300 and end up with an older computer, when they could get a new one for not much more? Plus, they would get a full warranty with the new computer which they wouldn't get with yours.
A more realistic loss would be around 30% of your purchase price in the first year... and that is if the computer is still in pristine condition with all of the included discs, connectors and manuals.
Granted, some people are not that educated when it comes to older computers and might pay the higher cost. You can't count on that, though.
Also, you would have to go through the trouble of actually selling it before you can get the new one. There is no guarantee that you could sell it at all.

Buying a new computer every year just doesn't make any practical sense, no matter how you try to spin it.

I have one word for you, ready? Here it is... ebay LOL, people pay inflated prices for used computers on ebay and are happy to do it. I have no idea why but that is the way it is.

Last year I sold an Asus laptop that was about 2 yrs old for $800. It had a AMD Turion (yuck!) CPU in it and I personally wouldn't have given more than $200 for it but someone wanted it.

Apple commands higher prices because of brand recognition in much the same way that Honda and Toyota do. An Apple will hold it's resale value better than most.

That being said, I think it's foolish to try and sell a computer every year just to upgrade to the latest model. You may get away with spending just a few hundred dollars to make it happen but in the end it's still just a computer and that hard earned cash can be well spent on necessities. In today's economy it makes more sense to save your money for a rainy day and be prepared. Just my 2 cents worth.....

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
THe ebay rule certainly applies here.

I've been looking around for a month or so now and second hand stuff is going for $100 - $300 less than new unless your happy to take something that has a fault which is exactly what I have done.

I'm happy to buy the parts and fix the machine so no problem and as I'm not 100% sure a mac is for me I can't warrant spending out on a new 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.