Should i buy this?

Reaction score
I have been offered a 2.0 ghz 20" imac, 1 gb of ram, 250 gb hard drive, for £180, plus £20 delivery.

The only downside is it needs a new logic board, meaning (according to the owner) it needs a restart every now and again as it freezes.

This doesn't bother me too much, i just don't want to buy it, and for the thing to completely fail on me. Could this happen?

Apparently a new logic board is around £500 from Apple, would i be wise in doing this straight away?

Would you buy it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Anything could happen. If it were me, I'd pass this one by.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
£500 doesn't sound cheap.

Say it costs the £200 plus the £500 for repair, that's £700 for a used iMac. How much does a brand new one and is a year warranty worth the difference in cost?

Also, this sounds like an older model, a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, do you know which one??

And yes, it's going to fail on you. I really don't know but plan for the worst. He could be pawing a pile on you. Do you really know if an occasional freeze isn't every 2 minutes?

OP
N
Reaction score
He said it's about 3 years old, a non i-sight model.

It was originally going to be sold to me, fixed by Apple under warranty, for £320. Tonight he said they are not fixing it, so i could have it for £180.

Guess it's well not worth it, unfixed. Or to even attempt to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
That's a G5 not an Intel iMac. Intel iMacs all have an iSight.

I wouldn't touch it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 inch, white, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB,250GB Serial ATA Drive
799 pounds buys you a new imac with isight I think thats probably a better deal than what you would be getting here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.