password recovery needed

N

ngj26

hi all the other day my little girl managed to change the password now i cannot get in at all could somone tell me what to do its an apple mac 1.4.1ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Boot using your OSX CD and you can reset the password in there

OP
N

ngj26

hi

the cd that come with it doesnt do anything at all i am using version 1.4.1 do you know what other versions i can use and will buy from somwhere will 10.3 work

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What CDs came with your system?

Also what version of the OS are you running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
boot from the os installer disk 1, if not, Im afraid a clean install will be the only way.

OP
P

PReine

My son decided to set a password, and now he can't log in (I hope he learns from this). We have 9.2 (.2?) We can boot with an OS.9.2 install disk, but then what? We tried control-panel>Multiple Users, but it said it need an extension.

Multiple Users is in the extensions folder, and when we open it, it says that to use it, put it in the Extensions folder (kinda circular).

Somehow, I think the current problem due to booting from the 9.2 install CD is that it puts us in a single-user mode, so multiple users, although it's in the hard disk's extensions folder, isn't loaded... and we can't put it into the extensions on the CD ROM.

What now, brown cow?

Exactly what did you (trpnmonkey41) mean by "reset the password"? What steps does one take to accomplish this?

PReine.

P.S. It's an iMac, if that matters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
he said OSX install cd assuming you were using os x, your not, so I dont think you can reset the password. but extensions arent loded when you start up from the cd. if there are multiple users, can you login to another user? possibly an admin user? and then change another users password.

OP
D

DRIVEN

You can boot to your OS 9 CD and remove the Multiple Users Control Panel and all related extensions and preferences, restart and you'll be fine.....BUT you wont have Multiple User accounts anymore. Are you the only one that uses this computer?

OP
P

PReine

My son and I will both use it, and we will likely both administer it. Multiple users will allow us to keep our stuff separate. If multiple admins aren't allowed (I'm more Unix and PC familiar, and multi-admins are allow by both of those, except only one "root" on unix), we'll make one admin, and maybe two users.

Someone had it out in the trash when I was walking the dog one day, and I drove back and picked it up, along with keyboard & optical mouse (both USB), a USB hub, and an external floppy and USB inkjet printer. Not bad for trash pickin, except it didn't have any of the original CDs.

I got the OS 9 install disk, and a bunch more (including OS X 10.2) from someone else, but if I install 10.2, will I loose MS Word, etc, which is on it?

Phil

So, I guess we'd like multiple users. Can that be grabbed from the install CD?

OP
P

PReine

As a quick followup, we put the multi-user control panel and extension on a floppy, deleted the originals, and were able to get in... it didn't ask for a password.

Now, how do we get multi users? Obviously, we can't copy the MU control panel and extension back! It didn't exist on the install CD in a copy-able form (compressed within something).

If we install OS X, will we lose MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint? (My son says X comes with them, but I'm sure he's not aware of what goes on behind the installs at the junior high.) I'll look around elsewhere, but sometimes you look and don't get an answer either way.

Phil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you wont lose if you choose an upgrade install(default install options), but the versions you have most likely only work in os 9, you can use them in classic mode through mac os x, but not directly in os x. if you purchased os x, it will not come with M$ office.

OP
P

PReine

Jeez am I stupid. If we go to OS X, we won't be able to use most anything from OS 9, will we? Maybe I'd better get to bed and search anew in the morning on dual-booting this baby with X and 9.2.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can still use os 9, but itll be in an emulation window, like os 9 is starting up from within os x. kinda likle opening an application, except the app is os9 and any older apps you want, you can open.

OP
P

PReine

Thanks, bunches. I was just checking the OS X upgrade info from Apple, and it seems pretty straightforward. It's at http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/questions.html for others reading this thread.

Because we only started using the Mac in December (2004), have almost nothing on it - there's no data we need, but it will be nice to keep all the M$ apps. Too bad it doesn't have a CD burner for backup. We haven't even put it on the internet yet.

Most of our other macs are 68K machines (OS 7+). Dunno if I even want to bother with finding an OS X version of KidPicks, we'll just use the other macs for that.

Thanks for all your help, Macman!

Phil Reinemann

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.