How to make a UTF-8 file?

Reaction score
I need to create a text file and save it as UTF-8 format. I cannot find any option for this in Neooffice. How can I do it? Will it do it automatically if I just ask "save as html"??

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I need to create a text file and save it as UTF-8 format. I cannot find any option for this in Neooffice. How can I do it? Will it do it automatically if I just ask "save as html"??

Thanks a lot

Not sure about NeoOffice but you could try TextEdit that's part of OS X that can Save As UTF-8 or if you'd like a 3rd party editor you could try jEdit

'Other UTF-8 editors are available' ;)

HTH
mrplow

edit:
Looks as though NeoOffice uses UTF-8 natively http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Converting_non-UTF-8_text_files

OP
J
Reaction score
I have textedit, but I see no option to "save as UTF-8 ". I see only
RTF
HTML
Word format
Word XML format

Is it one of those? I also used textedit help and Neooffice help but they do not help.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have you looked at the NeoOffice wiki link in my first post? It gives step-by-step instructions on saving to UTF-8

mrplow

OP
J
Reaction score
Have you looked at the NeoOffice wiki link in my first post? It gives step-by-step instructions on saving to UTF-8

mrplow

That sounds really complicated. He says you can do it in textedit, and sounds as if it might be simpler. Any idea how?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's just a few clicks. It's nots that complicated when you actually do it.... however..... if you want to do it in TextEdit:

1. Select all the text
2. Convert to plain text - Format > Make Plain Text
3. Save-as . . choose UTF-8 character encoding from the Save As dialog.

Job Done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To clarify:

UTF-8 is not a format. It is a way that characters (as in a single letter or number) are encoded. So instead of the computer saying "this is the letter 'a'" the computer says "this is the letter '102938'".

Most formats can be stored with either UTF-8 encoding, or one of the other encoding schemes (ISO Latin 1 is another).

UFT-8 or UTF-16 are recommended as they can generally deal with any type of character you throw at them.

OP
J
Reaction score
It's just a few clicks. It's nots that complicated when you actually do it.... however..... if you want to do it in TextEdit:

1. Select all the text
2. Convert to plain text - Format > Make Plain Text
3. Save-as . . choose UTF-8 character encoding from the Save As dialog.

Job Done.

Great! Thank you very much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.