Problem downloading files.

Reaction score
Just recently bought a MacBook and its taking a bit of getting used to as i've used PCs most of my life, anyway, im having problems downloading things, when i go to download a file, for example, i tried to download Real player, the file gets saved to the Download folder but when i try to open it it opens as a weird text document. If anyone can help me out i'd be much obliged!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
eddie,

Set up your downloads to put the download to your desktop so you can see it. Then it should show up there as a .dmg folder (compressed, like a .zip folder). Click on that and you'll see the components inside, then just drag the app itself to your applications folders and any docs to your documents folder, etc. When you're finished with the .dmg folder just right click and eject it - it will go away.

Noel

Reaction score
What extension is on the downloaded file? You might not have the right app to un-stuff/zip/etc....
Doesn't really matter where you download it to, as long as you can find it later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.