New switcher

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
Hi guys.

I have to say that I'm very impressed with the forum having had a bit of a look around.

I've just bought a MacBook 13" Core Duo 1.83Ghz as my first Mac.

I'm very much into PC's but I've admired macs from afar for way too long and thought it about time to have a go.

I'll be using it as a busy machine but because my offiv is VERY pc based, I'll need to run XP on it. Whats the best way?

Parallels or an upgrade to leopard and boot camp?

Also, is there much I need to know before I start trying to pull my hair out with the mac?

Thanks
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
What do you need to run that you need XP for.

I ask because I too thought this was a big deal, heh. 2 months strong and I have had no need for anything other than what I can put on osx.

Also, I'm not too sure how well your machine will handle 2 os's as well as actually doing something in one of them.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, J_K.

I usually recommend buying David Pogue's Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual,

Also there are a few threads in here that might be of immediate help to you. Like this one for instance, Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information.

Searching the forum, you'll find a lot of discussions have covered a lot of stuff as well.

Another piece of advice, give OS X a real chance, don't expect it to react and be a Windows clone. Both OSes act and work differently. Most people that can't make the switch didn't try to empty their minds of their Windows-thinking.

And try as much as possible in finding the Mac equivalent of apps instead of using your Windows/Boot Camp side.

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll need to run Xp for stuff that I've only got PC discs for.
I manage the IT setup in the office and also manage our websites. I use netojects for this as I just can't get my head around Dreamweaver.
We also run 2 accounts packages and I'm not spending another fortune on licenses just so I can run them on the mac which will also be docked on my desk most of the time I'm in the office.

I just want to be able to use the mac straight away and work ways pf integrating the office with mac stuff. I hate MS's badly written, buggy OS's and want to use something clean.
I can see it taking a while because I've got so much other stuff to do. I just need to hit the ground running so to speak.

Oh. and thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Parallels sounds like what you want. So when you want to take a brake at work or something of that sort you don't need to reboot you have OSX right there at your disposal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Parallels or VMware with an XP VM will work just fine for what you need to do in your 'heavy Windows shop.' Throw two gig into it and it will definitely handle those Windows apps along with the sweet, sweet experience of OS X.

We can hate MS's OS, but we can deal with it easily. By putting into its own sandbox to let it play 'business' for the Ineffectual Middle Managers while the adults get the real work done.

No offense to IMMs out there. We know why you chose Windows. It's because you didn't have any choice. That's okay. We'll work around it.

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool!

Oh. Another question..

I bought the machine (hasn't turned up yet) with a broken cdrw/dvd drive. Can I put a DVD burning drive in it instead of just a reader?

And any idea of how much RAM I can put in it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Parallels or an upgrade to leopard and boot camp?

Also, is there much I need to know before I start trying to pull my hair out with the mac?

I usually recommend buying David Pogue's Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual,
Excellent recommendation, but the manual is best for the OS (ie Tiger, Leopard etc) you are planning on using. I would recommend that you upgrade to Leopard regardless or at your leisure as Leopard is just so cool but take a look at the limitations with Parallels for things that might be dependant on better advancing PC technology.

Regardless of whether you use bootcamp or parallels, you will need for XP sp2, or lower than that for bootcamp (I think you can put 2000 on bootcamp).

And try as much as possible in finding the Mac equivalent of apps instead of using your Windows/Boot Camp side.
There are a lot of Mac equivalencies or even programs that are better and integrate well with the PC. For some programs, I've found them more efficient - and a lot of them make use of internal abilities in 'one program' rather than many or making you pay for added extras (being PC you'll recognize this as a common PC and MS tactic but I won't say it doesn't happen with Mac).

And any idea of how much RAM I can put in it?
I can't say I know totally but a lot is dependant on what type of Mac you have, the OS and the programs you are using or foresee using often as to what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Also try the free Virtualbox. (kind of like Parallels or VMware)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac 2.0ghz w/ Superdrive. 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive w/ Leopard OS
Welcome aboard. I'm new to the Mac world myself for the first time in over a decade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.