problem using Reason 4 music application

Reaction score
Hi

I got home a few weeks ago and thought i would finish a tune on a music programme called Reason 4. I loaded up the tune and tried to play it and as soon as it started to play it starts jumping, cutting out and spluttering....... the DSP level(which shows the amount of power the mac is using) which never went above 1 bar before at the bottom flies up to 10 bars into the red and it tells me my computer is to slow and i need to optimize the song??! Its like it with every tune i have made now. i have never had a problem before all songs had not been touched and the application ran fine and i have changed nothing on my Mac. no downloads nothing.

I first wrote to Reason forums, as i thought it was a problem with Reason but i have now been told it is a mac problem and this has happened to allot of people and the culprit is when the latest airport and security updates came in at the end of March and ever since i downloaded them it as ruined Reason and other music applications which were once fine!

I am running it on a Mini Mac. Running OS X 10.4.11

* 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 512 MB 667mhz DDR2 SDRAM memory
* 120GB hard drive
and still have loads of space

I have had Reason 4 for 3 months and as i said it’s worked fine until now and I just cannot understand why the DSP levels are full when i play any tune i have made and it now says my Mac is to slow!!! When two days before all the tunes played fine and ran like a dream! Its so strange that this has suddenly just happened without me changing anything.

Anyway i just wondered if anyone as any ideas to why this has suddenly happened and what you think it could be and have any advice as I feel I have hit a brick wall?? I have checked the audio options in reason preferences and my computer and it is all fine? My mini mac has an internal sound card so i cannot do anything to it as there are no options! I also have 10 GB of space on my harddrive and as i said i have not changed anything on my computer and this has suddenly happened when its has run fine for months??

Hope somebody out there can help as i just don’t know what the problem could be! is it these updates and can anybody give me adive to sort my computer out?? is a virus? i just don;t know!

much love, hope somebody out there can help!!

thanks

silas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
Sounds like you got a pretty good answer on the Reason forum. I have reason 4 and I'm not having the same issue.
Reinstall Reason?

Reaction score
I registered here after reading this post. I just bought a macbook pro 2.4 ghz with 2 gigs of ram and installed reason 4.0 on it a few days ago after making the switch from PC (an old pentium 4, 512mb ram)

I am having the same exact problem. Apparently Propellorhead says that there is no fix for intel based macs (power pc) for now unless I missed something.

I haven't tried using my external sound card (firebox) with my mac, so I am hoping once I do, that will free up some resources. I have even tried turning off the airport (internal card) as well as bluetooth but no dice.

The program hogs a lot of resources, to the point that it stops playing the song and gives the message that the CPU can't handle the load.

Needless to say this is extremely disappointing for me as I bought my macbook pro for the purpose of music production. Reason is the main program I use...and my macbook is performing worse than my 4 year old PC with an old *** processor and 1/4 of the ram.

Any help to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.