• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iBook going G5 soon?

M

Maxp0wer2004

Will the iBook be getting a G5 soon? because i will be able to get a computer by the end of the year, and i want to have a laptop with a G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Not a chance. the PowerBook would be the first to be upgraded to G5 and Apple has already said they are having difficulties getting the G5 into a PowerBook. PB G5 won't be out until mid summer 2005 at the very earliest and the iBook won't be bumped up to G5 until probably half a year after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Recently, Ive seen that the cooling of a g5 processor in an ibook or powerbook
is proving exceedingly difficult, and slowing closing the possibilities of a g5 laptop in the next year or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
haha....I'd say a G5 iBook is at least 2 years away. Powerbooks I think are still about a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Macman said:
Recently, Ive seen that the cooling of a g5 processor in an ibook or powerbook
is proving exceedingly difficult, and slowing closing the possibilities of a g5 laptop in the next year or so.

its not so much the cooling, as it is the power consumption. they lowered the bus on the iMac to solve the heat issue in a smaller enclosure with a smaller heat sync.

the problem in a laptop is the IBM chip isnt as efficient as the motorola was, meaning the G4 laptop that used to get 5+ hrs of battery life, would get about 1.5 - 2 hrs top.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, power consumption and heat are linked, more power consumption means more heat, and the other way around.
That's why I don't really think the G5 will be ready for laptops anytime soon.
Nevertheless, Freescale (ex-Motorola CPU division) is developing m dual core G4s, which don't use much more power than the actual ones, but running at the same frequency as the actual single core G4 still would be faster. ANd they are even pin-compatible with the actual G4, which means that, when they start producing them, Apple could put them in their PowerBooks (and later in iBooks) without modifying the actual mainboard design. I'm pretty sure that's the way they will go...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Powerbook G5's will be out Q1 or Q2 2005 is my guess.

iBook G5's... probably sometime in 2006.

Reaction score
I just dont see how it will work. How will they make a longer lasting battery? I just dont get it. Then where would all the fans go. !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well battery technology is also improving, but I suspect that we will see different version of the G5: G5m or something similar that features the same basic design, but with concessions regarding power consumption and heat.

OP
T

The mac 13

schweb said:
haha....I'd say a G5 iBook is at least 2 years away. Powerbooks I think are still about a year.

i think that the g5 iBook wil b relased right after the g5 version of powerbook is released..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The mac 13 said:
i think that the g5 iBook wil b relased right after the g5 version of powerbook is released..

Thats what schweb just said

OP
O

Orange

I also think that the g5 iBook will be released right after the g5 version of powerbook is released..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Keep in mind, though: The PowerBook went from G3 to G4 in January 2001. The iBook went from G3 to G4 in October 2003..over two and a half years later.

I doubt we'll see any G5 iBooks for at least a year.

OP
C

code777

when i was talking to the manager at the apple store about a new iBook G5 he just laughed and said, "there was just a recent upgrade in the iBooks and a nice price drop, you're already asking about a G5? Don't hold your breath, summer 2006 MAYBE"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
I hope not. I just bought my G4 iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't have anything to worry about slilock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Naw, it'll be at least a year i think---

OP
C

crapday

i heard that they already have a powerbook G5, they gave them to the people af Alaska this winter so that they can keep warm. 1 powerbook per town should do the trick. Ahh what a nice warm christmas they will have.

OP
S

sivp

If you put such a powerful processor into a powerbook or even an ibook, you'll have to double the thickness of the casing just to get the beast cooled down.

I have one of the first 2.4 ghz laptops that came out on the market and now i'm having drouble with the cooling, keeps on restarting and smells like buring.. I already had it checked and there seems to be nothing wrong..

So to keep the powerbook/ibook running smoothly, you have to but some massive cooling on it...

*Compare the heatsinks of the g5's* LOL......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.