New to Mac, which laptop?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am totally new to the whole mac scene and i am going crazy trying to figure out what laptop to purchase so maybe someone can help me. I have narrowed it down to 3. Just so you know i have never used a mac before but have done alot of research and know i want one! I will be using it mostly for college, web surfing, photos, ect. pretty much just a basic user, but I don't want it to be slow (very impatient...probably due to using PC's for so long :) ). I would like bluetooth and i am pretty sure all the ones i have picked out offer it. I am trying to keep it around $1100 which is why i picked the ones i did. Please let me know which one would be best for me. Thanks

here are my picks:
2.1 ghz version $1099
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=MTE3MzI&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook

1.5 or 1.67 ghz version $699-799 (my top pic because of price, if it's a decent model)
http://www.wegenermedia.com/alum15.htm

Referbished mac book pro, 1.83 ghz model $1099 (how much better than regular mac book?)

http://www.wegenermedia.com/macbookpro.htm
Thanks for your help ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
I'd take the 2.1 MacBook, but as long as you upgrade the RAM. 4GB kits go for ~$90. From what you said the computer will be for, a dedicated video card is not necessary, so the PowerBook and the MB Pro as not needed. The question is the screen size: 13" is enough for you? Will you use the notebook with an external monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
I 2nd that. I'd go for the 2.1 MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
pnut312,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd go for the 2.1 Macbook mainly because of it's speed, size and weight. The 13 inch screen is plenty large enough for your for college work and the weight won't tax your lap. While the Powerbook is a good price, it is slower and heavier. Consider that a larger laptop is heavier and not necessarily better...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

I'd say go with this one. Being Intel-based, it will give you the option to install Windows if you find you have the need. Intel-based hardware is the future of Macs... may as well start with it.

The problem with the refurbed Powerbooks is that they aren't Intel-based, so you can't run Windows if you wound up needing to, and you will have increasingly limited software choices over the next few years. They also only come with 512 mb of RAM... adequate, but you'd be more comfortable with double that. The same goes for the G4 processor... adequate for your needs, but the MacBook should be a fair bit speedier.

The refurbed MacBook Pro would be a good choice if it had more RAM. But the new MacBook should suit your needs fine and you should get more longevity from it.

OP
P
Reaction score
New to mac please help!!

Hey guys,

I am totally new to the whole mac scene and i am going crazy trying to figure out what laptop to purchase so maybe someone can help me. I have narrowed it down to 3. Just so you know i have never used a mac before but have done alot of research and know i want one! I will be using it mostly for college, web surfing, photos, ect. pretty much just a basic user, but I don't want it to be slow (very impatient...probably due to using PC's for so long ). I would like bluetooth and i am pretty sure all the ones i have picked out offer it. I am trying to keep it around $1100 which is why i picked the ones i did. Please let me know which one would be best for me. Thanks

here are my picks:
2.1 ghz version $1099
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...family/macbook

1.5 or 1.67 ghz version $699-799 (my top pic because of price, if it's a decent model)
http://www.wegenermedia.com/alum15.htm

Referbished mac book pro, 1.83 ghz model $1099 (how much better than regular mac book?)

http://www.wegenermedia.com/macbookpro.htm

From what i can gather from reading the forums the G4 is really inferior compared to the macbook or macbook pro....is this the case??

PLEASE HELP THANKS!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
As a student, you are entitled to Apple's education discount. The $1099 MacBook that you linked to is available on their education store site for $999. I would go for that or the 2.4ghz, 2gb, 160gb HD version for $1199 if you could swing it without a major problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
Yep i agree with everyone else. Go for the 2.1 or like Jay said the 2.4 if possible.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input, so my final question is should i go with the macbook or the refurbished mac book pro, since they will end up being the same price??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
It's generally not a good idea to cross post. You already have a pretty active thread in the Switcher area with the exact same question.

OP
P
Reaction score
sorry about that, kinda new to all this, just trying to make the best possible desicion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally I'd go for the refurbished pro. But I would ask then what graphics card would be inside it as the link doesn't say. And I'd ask what the Hard Drive speed is too. Cause personally the dedicated graphics and bigger screen would mean more to me than a few more mhz and HD space.

But Can you afford a few more $. If so there are a few more nice refurbished pros on that site you interested that are rather nice too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
If you're not trying to game or do heavy multimedia, I'd go with a macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
you know there is a 2.0 GHz refurbished on apple.com for 799?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.