• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Did you feel that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I was wondering if many people on the forum are from the Midwest and felt the 5.2 earthquake this morning. I just felt what I think was an aftershock a few minutes ago. It woke me from my sleep this morning and I thought maybe my apartment building was being side-swiped by a tornado or something.

This probably seems lame to west coasters, but for the midwest it's a real oddity. It supposedly happens around here about every 15 years. I do recall one other earthquake in Indiana about that long ago. At a university near the epicenter they evacuated the dorms and made students stand outside for over an hour. Now that would have really made me mad. I probably would have tried to sneak back in to go to sleep!

T

todd51

Yes! It woke me up and I thought my roommate was shaking my bed since they went out drinking last night. I remember it being very loud also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I didn't feel a thing here in Chicago. I turned on the TV hoping to get a weather report or something, and the whole time I was home before work all they talked about on TV was about how there was no reported damage or injuries. THEN SHUT UP AND GET TO THE NEWS!!!!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nothing in minnesota... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
Didn't feel a thing at home in Hamilton. But here at work in Cincinnati, a few coworkers said they felt some shaking.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
check your sammich fixin's - did any topple over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Its just the northern fringe of the New Madrid fault saying "Hello!!!!!" The New Madrid is due for a major event at anytime. It's just a matter of time. There are quite a few seismic active regions in the southwest, northwest, and central US that are due.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
new madrid - isn't that where the largest earthquake to ever hit north america (back in the 16 or 1700's) was centralized?

Reaction score
Yea...I definately slept through it. I had been revising a business plan for school for 7 hours and I crashed 20 minutes before it happened. I wanted to feel the shakes, but maybe next time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Nothing here.

I went Southern Illinois University C-dale which is at the very southern tip of IL. It's near the fault line. I didn't know it was that large. All my friends still live down there. I gotta see if they're all ok. I am suppose to go down there next weekend too. Would it be safe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The epicenter was 100 miles from campus. My friends said stuff was falling off the shelves but everyone is ok. My friend thought it was a dream when he woke up because he was still quite drunk. He said it was fun because he fell out of bed. lolz

I was actually suppose to go down there today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
WE had one in England would you believe?

It was at night - I am a heavy sleeper so didn't feel a thing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Born and raised in northern California, I've felt my share of earthquakes. I was about 40 miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89. It was quite a ride!

Reaction score
I slept through it.
People were saying they felt it around here. There was this guy on the news from Kalamazoo who felt it.
It seemed to be an interesting subject!
Then again, where i'm at, all we can talk about is earthquakes and things that go MOO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
Born and raised in northern California, I've felt my share of earthquakes. I was about 40 miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89. It was quite a ride!

I lived in Northridge, CA during the Loma Prieta quake. Was watching the news, waiting for the World Series to start and the feed from that area cut out. I looked into our dining room and our chandelier was swinging slightly. Keep in mind that the Bay area of San Fran is over 350 miles away from Northridge.

We also lived in Northridge for the '94 quake - about as close as you could get to the epicenter. 6.7 on the Richter scale - I had no idea the ground could move that much. Wiped out our house, which is one of the reasons we live on the east coast now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
I felt it in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago. Our dogs starting whining about 15 minutes or so before we felt the tremors.

Californian's may have more experience with 'quakes but their 'quakes haven't done as much geographic (land) damage or have been as large is geographic coverage as 'quakes from the New Madrid and Wabash fault lines.

The image below comparison of the 1895 Charleston, Missouri, earthquake in the New Madrid seismic zone with the 1994 Northridge, California, earthquake. Red indicates area of structural damage, yellow indicates area where shaking was felt.

charleston1895ju5.gif

In 1811, 'quakes and aftershocks measuring 7.1 - 8.5 from the New Madrid fault were so strong that it split the Mississippi River in two, causing towns and county parcels to be uplifted from one side of the river to the other. This 'quake also caused the river to change course. Accounts claim for a time, the river went from it's natural course of flowing south to flowing north.

From the USGS: The area of strong shaking associated with these 1811 - 1812 shocks was two to three times larger than that of the 1964 Alaska earthquake and 10 times larger than that of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. The first and second earthquakes occurred in Arkansas (December 16, 1811 - two shocks - Mfa 7.2, MSn 8.5 and Mfa 7.0, MSn 8.0) and the third and fourth in Missouri (January 23, 1812, Mfa 7.1, MSn 8.4; and February 7, 1812, Mfa 7.4, MSn 8.8). Otto Nuttli postulated another strong earthquake in Arkansas on December 16 at 18:00 UTC (MSn 8.0). This would make a total of five earthquakes of magnitude MSn 8.0 or higher occurring in the period December 16, 1811 through February 7, 1812.

Here is an excerpt from our newsroom.

Scientists 'Unnerved' By Midwest Quakes
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Scientists say they know far too little about Midwestern seismic zones like the one that rumbled to life under southern Illinois Friday morning, but some of what they do know is unnerving.
The fault zones beneath the Mississippi River Valley have produced some of the largest modern U.S. quakes east of the Rockies, a region covered with old buildings not built to withstand seismic activity. And, when quakes happen, they’re felt far and wide, their vibrations propagated over hundreds of miles of bedrock.

Friday’s quake shook things up from Nebraska to Atlanta, rattling nerves but doing little damage and seriously hurting no one. It was a magnitude 5.2 temblor centered just outside West Salem in southeastern Illinois, a largely rural region of small towns that sit over the Wabash fault zone. The area has produced moderately strong quakes as recently as 2002.

But it hasn’t been studied to nearly the degree of quake-prone areas west of the Rockies, particularly along the heavily scrutinized Pacific coast. “We don’t have as many opportunities as in California,” said Genda Chen, associate professor of engineering at the University of Missouri-Rolla, which sits near the well-known and very active New Madrid fault zone.

“We cannot even borrow on the knowledge they learn on the West Coast” because quakes that happen in California—where tectonic plates beneath the Earth’s surface collide—are so different from Midwestern quakes that happen far away from the edges of the nearest plates.

Scientists say quakes that happen in the Midwest commonly radiate out for hundreds of miles because of the bedrock beneath much of the eastern United States. “Our bedrock here is old, really rigid and sends those waves a long way,” said Bob Bauer, a geologist with the Illinois State Geological Survey who works in Champaign. He compared the underground rock, which in much of the Midwest lies anywhere from a few thousand feet to just a few feet below the earth’s surface, to a bell that very efficiently transmits seismic waves like sound. “California is young bedrock,” he explained. “It’s broken up ... like a cracked bell. You ring that, the waves don’t go as far.”

The question of whether Friday’s quake was centered along a branch of the New Madrid zone or not is of more than academic interest. The area even now produces smaller, very regular quakes, and experts say it still has the potential to produce a quake that could devastate the region.

The Wabash faults have the potential to do the same, at least based on distant history, said Columbia University seismologist Won-Young Kim. The strongest quake produced in recent history by the Wabash was a magnitude 5.3 in southern Illinois in 1968, but researchers have found evidence that 4,000 to 6,000 years ago, much stronger quakes shook the region, Kim said, as strong as magnitude 8.0 or more.

A similar quake is still possible, if the region is given time to build up enough energy, Kim said. But knowledge about the area is too thin to say whether that’s likely, he added.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.