Recommendations for potential switcher..

Reaction score
I will be making a potential switch later this year from a PC to an iMac. However, I am not sure of how much to "upgrade," without overdoing it. What system requirements would you recommend for a typical, average user that would be using the iMac for MS Office applications, photo/video (not heavy), iTunes, etc.

Reaction score
Almost any new iMac would do you well really. If its not a work horse, then you really dont need all the extras. But of course, it would always make things faster/smoother if you did. But any other extras would be just a personal choice of yours. Any iMac can handle your basic functions without any problem at all. I would shoot for at least the 2.4 processor, and install 2Gb of ram myself if I were in your situation. Anything else is your choice.

P.S. DONT buy apple ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have a 2.2ghz MacBook w/ 2gb RAM and I love it! It runs great and never bogs down.

I don't know what the cost difference is between the 2.0 and the 2.4, but if it isn't a lot, I might opt for the 2.4. However, you said you were thinking of buying later in the year. By then 2.2 or 2.4 will probably be the entry level standard, and that would be my choice.

I would also buy it from Apple with 1gb of RAM and then buy either 2 or 4 gb from an aftermarket site at a later time if you think it is necessary. Fortunately, RAM for Macs is cheap (unless you buy it from Apple).

OP
S
Reaction score
Almost any new iMac would do you well really. If its not a work horse, then you really dont need all the extras. But of course, it would always make things faster/smoother if you did. But any other extras would be just a personal choice of yours. Any iMac can handle your basic functions without any problem at all. I would shoot for at least the 2.4 processor, and install 2Gb of ram myself if I were in your situation. Anything else is your choice.

P.S. DONT buy apple ram.

Why wouldn't you buy Apple RAM? Cost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Cost. Much, much cheaper to DIY.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Apple RAM is ridiculously overpriced. Sites like NewEgg and Crucial sell it dirt cheap with a lifetime warranty.

Reaction score
Like others have already stated, any iMac that Apple offers should meet your needs. Just be sure to get plenty of RAM--I'd recommend Crucial for your RAM needs. Good luck <><

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd also recommend you try some of the free alternatives to MS Office before you buy it. In particular, NeoOffice is fully MS Office compatible, completely free and looks a lot more like Office on Windows than Office for Mac does.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'd also recommend you try some of the free alternatives to MS Office before you buy it. In particular, NeoOffice is fully MS Office compatible, completely free and looks a lot more like Office on Windows than Office for Mac does.

So there would not be any problems opening documents I created at home on my Mac using my work PC using NeoOffice?

As for buying RAM from Crucial or Newegg, if I should ever have a problem with the computer and bring it into an Apple store for servicing, would the use of "Non-Apple" parts negate any warranty?

I know, stupid questions, but just need to make sure!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So there would not be any problems opening documents I created at home on my Mac using my work PC using NeoOffice?

As for buying RAM from Crucial or Newegg, if I should ever have a problem with the computer and bring it into an Apple store for servicing, would the use of "Non-Apple" parts negate any warranty?

I know, stupid questions, but just need to make sure!

Correct, providing that you set NeoOffice's defaults to save as MS Office document formats. By default, NeoOffice will save in its own native format. You can override that by doing a Save As..., but NeoOffice also gives you the ability to tell it to always save as MS Office-compatible formats. On the flip side, NeoOffice has no problem opening all of the MS Office formats.

You may upgrade with 3rd party memory without invalidating the warranty. However, if Apple determines that the fault lies with your memory, they will not replace it - you'd have to go back to that 3rd party and hope that they stand by their warranty. That's why I recommend Crucial - Crucial is the retail arm of Micron who is one of the biggest memory manufacturers out there. When they say the warranty is "lifetime", they'll actually be around should you need to make a claim.

Reaction score

Like others said, its VERY overpriced. Let me just clarify HOW much over priced.

Lets say you bought the baseline 24" iMac. Totally stoked. Super cool computer on its way. But you op to have Apple pre install the memory for you. Saves some headache right? Wrong. It comes standard with 1Gb of RAM. And if you upgrade to 4 through Apple, it will set you back an extra $500. If you bought some from kingston, it would cost you just a bit over $100. Sooooooo, if you do the math, 500-100 (like they even pay 100 buck for it :| ) would be 400 for them. And its a 10 min job, MAX. There is 60 mins in an hour. So thats 400 x 6. Your paying apple about $2400 an hour to install your ram for you. You can even take out the $2.50 they pay someone to do it if you want. (Just a guess a $15/hour wage)

Another thing, you might be thinking, "well it will save time if it comes pre installed" Also wrong. Apple will set your shipping time back anywhere from a day, to a full three. For something that takes ten mins, and anyone with a screwdriver can do.

DONT buy Apple ram. They are a business, so no surprise that they want your money.

Edit: oops, the link I gave to the kingston ram wasnt for the iMac, it was for the macbook. O well, you get the point

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
The thing that struck me is that apple will definitely have upgraded their bottom line by the end of the summer. And not that neo doesn't have its place but i feel it is inferior to ms office and iWork which will also let you export to a .doc or .docx as well. I love pages and keynote they have great templates but so does word 2008 surprisingly trendy

OP
S
Reaction score
Correct, providing that you set NeoOffice's defaults to save as MS Office document formats. By default, NeoOffice will save in its own native format. You can override that by doing a Save As..., but NeoOffice also gives you the ability to tell it to always save as MS Office-compatible formats. On the flip side, NeoOffice has no problem opening all of the MS Office formats.

You may upgrade with 3rd party memory without invalidating the warranty. However, if Apple determines that the fault lies with your memory, they will not replace it - you'd have to go back to that 3rd party and hope that they stand by their warranty. That's why I recommend Crucial - Crucial is the retail arm of Micron who is one of the biggest memory manufacturers out there. When they say the warranty is "lifetime", they'll actually be around should you need to make a claim.

Thanks to all of you guys for the help. I probably won't make my purchase until the end of the summer, just prior to my iPhone purchase in September. I will probably have many more questions in the months to come; I greatly appreciate the advice everyone here gives to make a potential switcher feel more at ease!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.