• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

video editing on Mac Pro

Reaction score
i currently use a powerbook G4 for video editing SD quality. i'm looking to buy a mac pro for editing high quality short art digital videos (about 10min). i would like to be able to edit in full HD clips from a sony SR7-HDD. i use Final cut 6.0 so i know that with the intel processor, the fcp can work directly with avchd files. my output is on a full hd 1080p projector, large scale projection. i don't really know too much about hardware. my questions are what specifications do i need when i customize the mac pro? how many GHz processor? How many hard drives do i need? maybe just 1 since i have an external 1tb hard drive already which i can just hook up the the tower. What kind of graphics card do i need? Does the mac pro come with hdmi slots? if not, i thought of getting the black magic card. has anyone used this yet? will it answer my need for hmdi projector output? also, if i would like to burn it onto a blu ray disk, does the mac pro have this too?

sorry for all the questions...i really need some inputs. answers to any questions will be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You haven't done much research, have you?

I don't do any video editing but I will try my best.

I would stick with either the quad or 8-core 2.8GHz machine. The other two aren't much faster but theyare a lot more expensive. I would go with the one you can afford.

I don't know how much video graphics power video editing needs. The 8800 GT is 2.5x faster than the stock HD 2600 XT.

The Mac Pro does not have an HDMI port. A member here uses a Black Magic card and I haven't heard a complaint from him.

Because of HDCP, the only Blu-ray support I know of for the Mac Pro is Toast, which is for disc burning.

I don't know how much HD and RAM you'll need. You can buy that stuff yourself and install it. It's very easy to do and it costs 1/3 of what Apple charges.

Edit:
You can buy Blu-ray burners but Apple does not sell or support them yet. As for HDMI output, I use a DVI to HDMI cable so I can use my HDTV as a second monitor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.