Does Mail really tie you into one email client?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
I just switched from using XP to Mac, and I've been debating Entourage (which I can get free through my school, Mail, or Thunderbird. I was using Outlook. I've read a lot here and elsewhere about the pros and cons, but the one point that still has me wondering is whether or not moving everything to Mail will really make it difficult in the future to move to a different client, say Thunderbird, or Outlook, or whatever. Are there ways of doing this that aren't too painful? Sorry, I don't mean to be such a pessimist about staying with one thing from the start, I just want to know for the future...

Reaction score
If you use POP3 for your mail, then it always downloads directly into your mail client locally. The individual mail clients will have their own format for the file that the mail ends up in.

If you have access to a mail server that handles all mail on the server (ie. via IMAP) this problem goes away, as any mail client that can connect to the server can see the mail on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you drag a Mail mailbox or folder to the desktop, you'll get a .mbox archive that is compatible with Thunderbird, Eudora, or most other programs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.