• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iTunes Pricing

Reaction score
Hi,

I was considering buying an album from itunes until I realised just how extortionate the pricing is! I may be nissing something here but I can buy a CD from a highstreet store for £8 most of the time. How can itunes justify demanding £8 for an album when they do not have the overheads of highstreet retailers? You also do not get a CD with itunes!

Am i missing something here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I believe it's a lot cheaper in the US...

I've never bought anything from iTunes, it does seem really overpriced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 inch, white, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB,250GB Serial ATA Drive
Hi Dan - You might want to check walmart.com for their music downloads. I dont think they care whether you're in the UK or not. and its between 9 to 10 bucks for an album and with the exchange rate you will be paying half of what you will on itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Exactly so how is it justified to charge Uk users more?

Cos we already pay a stupid amount more, partly owing to the exchange rate, for just about everything we buy.

Something to do with licensing maybe?!

OP
D
Reaction score
Well the exchange rate should work in our favour! If itunes charges a US user $1 per song then we should be paying about 50p. It just seems to me that they are overcharging simply because they can?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
it's the same with all mac products, if you buy a macbook here, the most basic config, you'd pay £699, right? that's $1400 over in the USA. You can get a basic MacBook over there for just $1099, which is £550.

You aren't missing anything, it's just the way apple prices their stuff. They charge more because they know people will pay up. simple as.

Dave

OP
D
Reaction score
I guess its just frustrating, surely they are tryig to promote people downloading from itunes? I do on occasion for a single track but never an album. Until the prices come down I'l keep buying CD's!

Reaction score
I just bought a new realease CD for $7.99. Most are $9.99. Nothing wrong with that, it's the convenience of buying from iTunes and having it synced to my iPod/iPhone five minutes later. Lots of other people feel the same way, it's why they are selling the millions they are.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your missing the point. It costs so much in the Uk to buy from itunes, basically the same as buying the CD. Owning the CD is certainly preferable to downloading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 inch, white, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB,250GB Serial ATA Drive
I don't think they get the whole exchange rate thing....

1 GBP is 2 USD or about there. So I think Dan's point is - UK consumers are being charged more than US consumers. So to say well I pay 8.00 USD for an album (that would be roughly 3.50 to 4 £ on exchange) but instead apple charges UK Consumers £8 which is equal to 15-16 USD depending on the exchange rate.

Alot of people are in fact unwilling to pay up which is why piracy of music such an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
Is the idea to keep the prices equal across all countries so you don't get people shopping around from different locations to save money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The exchange rate should indeed work in your favor, however the VAT really does not. I understood how that piled up when you had importers, wholesalers and finally retailers in the middle.. but I wonder how it's calculated for a strictly online seller like the iTunes music store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
I just realised after thinking about it that it would be hard to make prices equal across all countries. I find numbers and currencies so confusing sometimes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There may be taxes and tariffs in place you're not aware of which causes the price jump. I'm not sure why there's a difference, I would do a little more research before simply claiming Apple is gouging people in the UK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Exactly so how is it justified to charge Uk users more?
Simple, because you live in the UK! ;D

Over here in the USA, the albums are cheaper through iTunes or, better yet, the Amazon MP-3 store. I really don't know why it isn't any cheaper than the actually CD in the UK.

I do have a solution for you, though. Move to the USA! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.