MacBook Pro vs. MacBook

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been trying to make a decision on what machine to buy, but it seems near impossible.
I need a laptop for college to type so documents and enter so research data. I will probably access the lab server using RDC. I will also use it for presentations.
1. I like the look of the middle range Macbook (white) and I can get is for $1199 (student discount). My objections are weight (>5lbs), non-LED 13.3" screen, non backlit keyboard.
2. I also like the Macbook pro and can get the top of the line one for $1999. My objections are the price (way too much for a laptop) and aluminum case (gets very hot).

Please help decided.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
your complaint about the macbook is weight yet you're looking at a 17" macbook pro?

Reaction score
The 2.4GHz white macbook should do you well. it has good specs and is only $1300. it has a SuperDrive and two gigs RAM, more than enough for basic applications. the hard drive is fairly large and should be large enough for your documents, apps, etc.

OP
U
Reaction score
your complaint about the macbook is weight yet you're looking at a 17" macbook pro?

I am not looking at the 17" MBP but the 15.4" one. I have another concern about the macbook. I remember reading somewhere that the plastic case under the hand gets deformed after long use. Is this still the case with the current model?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I am not looking at the 17" MBP but the 15.4" one. I have another concern about the macbook. I remember reading somewhere that the plastic case under the hand gets deformed after long use. Is this still the case with the current model?

Nope. That's been fixed since late 2006, I believe.

OP
U
Reaction score
Ok. In that case, I need to decided between the older version of the Macbook and the current version:

Old (top of the line)
MacBook 2.2GHz 13.3” Display (Black) (7643512)
1GB RAM (PC2-5300) DDR2, 160GB HD (5400RPM), DVD+R
Dual Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive 8x, iSight,
Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet
$999
Regular Academic Price: $1,399

New! MacBook 2.4GHz 13.3” Display (White)
2GB RAM (PC2-5300) DDR2, 160GB HD (5400RPM), DVD+R Dual
Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive 8x, iSight, Airport
Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet (7755508) .........................1,199

Other than the .2Ghz of memory and 1 Gb or RAM, what are the differences?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nope. That's been fixed since late 2006, I believe.

...and heat really isn't an issue with the Penryn-based Macbook Pros. They rarely get warm to the touch, let alone hot.

OP
U
Reaction score
...and heat really isn't an issue with the Penryn-based Macbook Pros. They rarely get warm to the touch, let alone hot.

So how hot can the new Macbook Pro get when doing so moderate processing?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So how hot can the new Macbook Pro get when doing so moderate processing?

I wouldn't describe it as hot. In fact, it runs a lot cooler than some of my previous plastic laptops. I've yet to have it become uncomfortable under any conditions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 inch, white, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB,250GB Serial ATA Drive
For what you want to do the MacBook Pro is overkill and overpriced to say the least. It is a beautiful machine don't get me wrong :)

I've had to ask myself the same questions you are now, and what I did was go into an apple store and test the products first hand. I wanted to see how heavy they were and all that good stuff.
I chose the white because the black showed finger prints - if you aren't anal about things being constantly pretty and sparkly then you will be fine with black if thats what you choose.
The macbook was sturdy and light in opinion. The Macbook Pro was lighter, but didn't feel as sturdy - although I imagine its built just as well. The screen was a good size even though its only 13.3. inches. It works fine.
I read this forum alot and it also helped me make my choice, so my advice to you is to soak all the good info up on here.
I also think for the price a macbook is a better value.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
ultimate008,

If you can get the 2.4 GHz Macbook with 2GB memory for $1199, I'd say buy it. It's newer technology than the 2.2 GHz machine, using 45nm CPU design rather than the 2.2's 65nm CPU. That means it should use less energy and run cooler.

I have a 13.3 inch Macbook, and it's not very heavy at all. If you want lighter you'd have to go to a MacBook Air and there you give up an optical drive plus several hundred dollars... Other lighter options would be PCs...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
My Macbook is not heavy at all compared to other computers. I actually haven't felt a computer thats lighter. And the black is so sexy IMO, I'd go with that.

Reaction score

See this concerns me because I do have a Penryn based Pro, and it gets pretty hot. Now I'm a bit worried.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See this concerns me because I do have a Penryn based Pro, and it gets pretty hot. Now I'm a bit worried.

I can't think of a time in the month that I've had it where I would describe the bottom as anything more than warm. With that said, I have owned quite a number of notebooks, some of them "high end" for their day (like the Dell Inspiron 8200) and they are my basis for comparison. If this is your first notebook and you are surprised that it's warm, then it might just be your perspective (all notebooks get warm). Otherwise, you might have a defective unit.

huy

Reaction score
Any laptop, even if it's not even powered on, would get warm because of your body heat. I believe cwa107 refers to warm as in hotter than what your body heat already does to your MB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.