• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Cheapest Final Cut Express?

Reaction score
Hi all,
After doing a little bit of video editing on PC with Windows Movie Maker/Pinnacle, iMovie '08 is a huge let down! I'm downloading iMovie '06 as that's apparently better (effects-wise) but I have a feeling I'll need something like FCE.

With student discount, I get less than £10 off FCE, coming to £118...which is out of my budget! I have however found some third party websites selling it for around £60 through Google Product Search.
Link: http://www.morecomputers.com/TechDesc.asp?pn=D3073ZM/A

Does this look like the real thing?

Where did you guys get your FCE's from and how much did you have to pay for them?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
That link looks like it's showing the education version of FCE 3.5. That version has more media and an additional application in comparison to the new version (4.0). 4.0, however, will work with AVCHD...a big plus if you plan on doing any work with an HDD based camcorder.

I vote for buying the 4.0 upgrade disk and upgrading from FCE 3.5.

Why?

With 3.5 you get Soundtrack (a VERY helpful audio application with a TON of free media and a lot of helpful features). You also get a TON more media for Livetypes (active text generating application). These 3 apps work together seamlessly.

I picked up FCE 3.5 on ebay for $80US. Then I bought the FCE 4.0 upgrade disk from the Apple store for $99US. Under $200US and it gave me the best of both worlds...all the media that 3.5 came with, Soundtrack, and FCE 4, which can deal with AVCHD (what I needed).

However, if you're on a budget, know 2 things:
1) FCE 3.5 is just fine if you don't need to deal with AVCHD.
2) You can pick up the 4.0 upgrade disk for $99US and upgrade from ANY previous version of FCE. Ie. you can find an older version on eBay for pretty cheap and upgrade from that.

Hope that helps.

-Nick

P.S. iMovie 6 is a decent application. But FCE is worlds more powerful. It's a FANTASTIC video editing application, IMO.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, Nick.

I've got exams on at the moment but will look into this when after they finish. Some pretty useful advice there, really appreciate it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad Core Processors, 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 1.5 TB of storage.
Most academics aren't upgradeable so buying a 3.5 academic version might not work to well to upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.