Looking to get a Digital SLR for under $500

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Yes, you heard me.

After discovering that I'm not a particularly good cameraman with a video camera, I discovered that I actually have a good set of photography skills, but I just lack a decent camera to shoot with.

I am on kind of a budget, $500 or less (including a lens). I'm not wrapped up in lenses and other proprietary equipment, however I tend to favor Nikon over Canon. But if Canon makes a better camera for sub-$500, then please let me know. Just something semi-professional/prosumer.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction
Canon or Olympus are probably the closest in your ballpark. The EOS Rebel is a fine camera and Canon's prosumer lenses are really quite affordable. I don't shop around for Nikon very often but they aren't known for bargain basement specials. Even Nikon film cameras are maintaining a higher value than they probably should! =) Olympus makes some decent Serious Amateur bodies for very affordable prices. Canon definitely has a great reputation with both consumers and professionals though, I'd lean that way personally. Of course I'm shooting with a Sony Alpha 100 (love it) as I was locked in to Minolta equipment from my film days. It's probably a tad out of your range though unless you find a deal on Craigslist or Ebay.

Reaction score
I was at my local camera supplier today. While there I had a look at the D3. Nice.

But during the conversation about when to sell off camera bodies, he mentioned that they have a bunch of used D2's and can't give them away.

So you might find some good deals on used Nikon bodies right now. The spread between the newer Nikons and the slightly older is quite a bit in technology. Older bodies are still very very good, but lot's of people sell off to have the "latest" which might create some great cameras being available at very reasonable pricing.

Talk to your local "better camera stores" and you might just find some deals.

Now be nice to me..I'm a Canon shooter and I just helped a Nikonian!

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, thanks to both of you for helping me get the ball rolling.

I decided this was the way to go, and I hope you'd agree.

Yes, I defected from Nikon, but some things just have to happen. Besides, this will create an interesting rivalry between me and my Nikon-shooting Aunt. >:]

Reaction score
Well, thanks to both of you for helping me get the ball rolling.

I decided this was the way to go, and I hope you'd agree.

Yes, I defected from Nikon, but some things just have to happen. Besides, this will create an interesting rivalry between me and my Nikon-shooting Aunt. >:]

That was my first DSLR! Great camera. Very forgiving and easy to use. Your Nikon glass will still hold good value for trade in towards Canon lenses.

The only thing I found as a negative with that camera was the battery consumption. You'll need another battery. But, there are some great after-market batteries available, and I don't think the Canon replacements are all that pricey any more.

The kit lens is very good considering it's price point. Never had a problem with it at all.

Have fun!:Smirk:

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
Found the same setup here in Hawaii on Craigslist for $300. Where are you located?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
You should look for a used 20d. I see them on POTN and Fredmiranda for around $450 or so. Occasionally you'll find used one's on Craigslist.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should look for a used 20d. I see them on POTN and Fredmiranda for around $450 or so. Occasionally you'll find used one's on Craigslist.

I kinda need a lens too. That's my real problem.

The Rebel is looking to be the best package deal for me so far.

Once I get more proficient with it, then I'll look into other bodies and lenses.

Right now I just have to get myself started.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
ugh, I hate the XT. I have the privledge of using one daily at work.

If you're going with Canon, look at the 10D or 20D. They are older models, Canon moved up to the 40D last fall, but they are excellent cameras. I used a 10D in college and the 30D for a few shoots.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ugh, I hate the XT. I have the privledge of using one daily at work.

If you're going with Canon, look at the 10D or 20D. They are older models, Canon moved up to the 40D last fall, but they are excellent cameras. I used a 10D in college and the 30D for a few shoots.

10D at B&H for $380

And I'm a lens noob. This a good one?

Now the question I have is, seeing as it's only 6.3 MP, is that going to be good enough if I wanted to do semi-professional shots?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I PM'd you.

I say no to B&H!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I hope you didn't buy that XT. That price seems a little steep for it since that camera is now 2 generations old! I bought my XTi for just a little more than that price on Ebay, brand new w/ warranty and a kit lens, over a year ago.

You should definitely shop around a little more before buying. I don't buy from B&H. Their product seems fine, but I just don't like the way they run their business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The major problem with the 10D is that it is not compatible with EF-S lenses. That means $$$$ for lenses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The sensor is larger on the 10D or something??

Reaction score
If you're in the right places, Michigan is a great place for picture taking, at least IMO, would you think so? Maybe just me.

Didn't mean to take this off topic, but I ordered my S5 from Amazon in late december not even a week before christmas and i ordered it on a monday and it was at my door on wednesday. They apparently ship some stuff from Indiana, so if you don't want a wait you could keep that in mind.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.