• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Cougar in Chicago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
No Joke. Poor kitty was lost and had to die. :( I'd like to know how a Cougar got out here. It just doesn't seem like a native animal to these parts.

Link with video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I totally took this thread the wrong way...

Poor kitty :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
D: Cougars are my favourite animal... so sad... ruined my day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Wow, what a bunch of A-Holes, and the point of killing it was?? They said they had no choice, why? Was it strapped with an AK-47? They had animal control, there is no point in killing it, especially when they have the resources to tranq it. I think it's very careless of the police to be shooting in public like that, especially when the animal was doing no harm, you don't know how many bullets went through someones home, or bounced off of something, there could have been some one walking where they were shooting.

I find it funny that everyone freaks out like it's some huge terrorist or something, OMG an ANIMAL, wow!! Granted, it is a large cat, and it's not normal to be in the city parts, but still.. they over reacted big time.

I'm not trying to get all animal rights over here, but it really erks me because there was no reason to kill it at all, it was scared because it was lost, it's being shot at and being chased, what would you do if you were in some place you never been and you're being chased by a bunch of creatures.. .I know I'd run like a bat out of ****, I'd want to get the heck out of there. The cougar wasn't hurting anyone or anything like that, the only reason it'd be attacking people is because it feels threatened and if you corner it, hence, what they were doing.

Anyways, I think it could have been handled more professionally, they make it sound like the cougar was eating people and robbing a bank.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The cops in the city use their guns actively whenever there's any remote danger. They said he was about to go after them and there were people still wandering the streets so they "had" to do it.
I've heard multiple reports that a cougar has been spotted multiple times on the north side. I figured it was a joke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
bry i saw this title and figured you were the one who started it.

i was shocked to hear the was a cougar in the city. I cant say i was surprised to hear the cops shot it though. I am not saying their actions were justified, nor was i there to have seen it myself. I am more curious as to where it came from.

Reaction score
Gotta agree with Ghostshadow, determining a threat needs to be based on something real, what exactly is the number of cougar attacks on humans in the Chicago metro area...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No doubt, it's a shock to have something like a cougar roaming the streets. I remember a few years back I had an encounter with one too, it was pretty scary.

There was one that got loose around Indianapolis, I think it had to have been a little further north of Indianapolis (I'm about an hour north of Indy) I remember it quite vividly. It was about 8 o'clock, maybe 9 P.M. I was out, on my way home, and I had to pee REALLY bad, since was somewhat on a "country road" I figured there would be no harm in taking a leak real fast, otherwise it would be in the car, I had to go that bad, so I didn't figure I'd make it home in time. Little did I know, there was a report of a cougar loose around Indy a few days before hand. I stopped, got out to go, and I'll be darned as soon as I had started to go (potty) and there it was! I seen it's glowing eyes in the dark, I was like what is that? The glowing startled me a little bit, and I looked harder with the light of the interior of the cardoor panel, I saw it, it was the cougar! The big cat was no further than 5 feet from me to my right, I almost peed on it, it scared me a bit, I had chills up my spine and neck, but it was scared of me just as much . We had a moment, kind of an eye to eye contact and then we both fled. I fled inside the car and it turned away and strolled off, it had no intention on hurting me, and I knew I sure didn't want to tangle with it.

I know I'll never forget that night, it was pretty interesting, it's definitely something that doesn't happen on a daily basis. There were reports of some other cougars being loose around here in 06 too.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1714922/posts

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like cats. :D. His teeth looked a little too scary though.

I did a little research on Wikipedia. Cougars are native to the western parts of America. Who knows how it got here though. Maybe a resident wanted an exotic pet. The cougar ate the owner, broke loose and wandered the streets. That's certainly possible. The cubs are cool looking and look harmless.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess there have been sitings for days/ weeks now. I don't keep up with the news that much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's my first guess, I bet someone had it as a pet and it got too big, so they either dumped it out and it found its way back into the city, or it got loose from the residence. That's how most wild animals end up around here, we see it every once in a while. People will care for bears and they get too big and then the let them go because they aren't cute anymore.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like to hope Darwinism factored in to the scenario and the owner got what was coming to him. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
agreed that would be good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
For a moment, I thought this was going to be about a woman in her 40s.

j/k O:)

Reaction score
Is a shame he had to die. Cannot figure out how a cougar got into Chicago.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They say shooting was justified because the cat was dangerous. Fox says the cops fired 12 shots at it. A witness said he heard 20 or 30 shots. Even 12 bullets flying around seems just as dangerous to me.

According to the story tonight, 12 people have been killed and 80 people have been injured from cougar attack since 1991. Oh, that stat is for the US and Canada combined.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow! Those attacks are off the charts! No wonder why it was such a threat. ;) I'd believe 20 - 30 shots, it always seems like there are more than what the police (or other enforcer with a firearm) says.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Either you have some extremely trigger happy cops or they have really bad aim. One shot could have easily killed it, or at least wounded it very badly...

If a cougar, or any dangerous wild animal got loose around here, nobody would shoot it... animal rights activists would probably hunt you down! Police rarely discharge firearms in public and we do have tranquilizers. And I live in an area that doesn't look too different than what was on the video. Interesting...

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're quite the trigger happy bunch.
A traquilizer wouldn't work if they had one. A tranquilizer for an animal that size would take awhile to work. The cat could easily run for a mile or more before the dart did its job.

I wish there was a different way to handle the situation though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.