Questions and more questions

Reaction score
Hey everyone, longtime mac user, im a junior designer but not very tech knowledgeable.

This is my situation:

I have been looking to get a new MB Pro for awhile. I currently have a two ooooold G4s that both run on 10.4.11. One of them is very special because out of luck, it was given to me by a family friend who had recently closed his graphics business. Its special because its got all the CS and CS2 programs on it, unfortunately he only gave me the tower, and no disks, etc. AND they are all registered to him. (This was so great because he saved me sooooo much mula, not having to acquire all the newer versions of the programs)

My question(s):

If i get a new laptop, that comes with leopard installed, Is there anyway I am going to be able to transfer all these programs, via firewire or something, or am i SOL? Will these programs even run on the newest OS?

If they can be transferred, am I SOL cuase they are registered to him? Is it possible, if i contact him, (i am going on the assumption right now that he doesn't have any of the install disks, etc. anymore) that he can get in touch with adobe to transfer them to my name or anything along those lines?

Kind of afraid of the answers..... :Oops:

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I have Abode CS - when I got 10.5 I also got a new HD - so it's easy to imagine it as a new computer.

I put my old HDD in an enclosure and connected it to my macbook, installed the new OS and used Migration Assistant.

If you get a fireware cable, you can start up your old mac in Target Disk Mode and use the Migration Assistant Utility to transfer all your applications and whatnot. I haven't had any problems with that at all, CS is still fine.

HOWEVER, I can't remember whether my version of CS is entirely legit or not. All my other applications are fine though.

OP
moNOTony.colab
Reaction score
I have Abode CS - when I got 10.5 I also got a new HD - so it's easy to imagine it as a new computer.

I put my old HDD in an enclosure and connected it to my macbook, installed the new OS and used Migration Assistant.

If you get a fireware cable, you can start up your old mac in Target Disk Mode and use the Migration Assistant Utility to transfer all your applications and whatnot. I haven't had any problems with that at all, CS is still fine.

HOWEVER, I can't remember whether my version of CS is entirely legit or not. All my other applications are fine though.

hmmm, interesting, thanks. so they all run fine on 10.5 huh? and you maybe-possibly-can't-think your CS is legit and it still purrs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I can't speak for CS2, but if CS still runs ok I should think all would be fine. My versions of MS Office is registered to a friend who gave it to me and I don't have the disks or anything like that for it now, but that transferred ok too.

In fact, I've not had any problems with anything, and I transferred the whole lot with Migration Assistant from one HDD with 10.4 to a new one with 10.5. No disks, no screw-ups - it even transfers how you have your dock set up. Love it!

My only complaint is that it takes a while :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.