Connecting MacBook to Firewire

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a Macbook and I want to gig with it (backtrack for drums). We will probably connect it to a PA or an amp with a 1/4 inch input.

How would you go about doing this without harming the soundcard? (I heard it's unsafe).

I think you can do it with an interface but I have no idea how. Any ideas? I will be using iTunes to play the tracks. Thanks.

EDIT: The topic title is supposed to be "Connecting Macbook to PA", sorry about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
I don't know much about harming the sound card, but you could buy and audio interface... You will probably want to use firewire. You can get a nice device for 150 or above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked it up real quick and saw this device... One reviewer said it was great for playback but not recording.... So that would be what you were using it for.

I still recommend This Thing... It's DEFINITELY worth the extra cash. Trust me, you'll want to record with it even if you don't think about that now.

OP
C
Reaction score
I already have the M-Audio 410 interface. I don't know how to output the sound though, that's my main problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are using itunes then go to "system preferences" (click on the apple in the top left corner)... Go to the audio portion of the sys prefs and click on the output tab. The firewire 410 will be an option. Itunes will not output through outputs 1 and 2 on your firewire 410.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.