Closing Screen w/o Hibernating

Reaction score
I have an 15'' MacBook Pro and I wanted to know if there was an option so that I can close the screen down without putting the computer into hibernation. Also, any possible suggestions would help but, my screen all of a sudden does not stay shut, the hooks come down but arnt catching, there is nothing in the way by the hinges. Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have an 15'' MacBook Pro and I wanted to know if there was an option so that I can close the screen down without putting the computer into hibernation. Also, any possible suggestions would help but, my screen all of a sudden does not stay shut, the hooks come down but arnt catching, there is nothing in the way by the hinges. Any ideas?

You can do this in one of several ways. If it's just that you want to have your display closed while you work with an external display, hook up an external mouse and move it after you've closed your lid to wake the computer back up.

If you want to keep the machine running without having the lid open, you can try programs like Sleepless and Insomniax

Note that some of the heat within your computer is vented through the keyboard. So leaving the machine turned on for prolonged periods may reduce the service life of your fans.

Reaction score
One other thing on this....
after you close the lid, wait a few seconds or so before trying to move the mouse. it wont react as soon as you close the lid. I do this every day as I have my Macbook and PC hooked up to a KVM switch so I can use my set up at home.
hope this is what you're looking for..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.