• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Region Code.. What A Joke? Now I Cant Watch DVDs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
So, I have watched a few DVD's on my new iMac now I can't seem to be able to watch anymore?

This is a joke. I was watching AVATAR on DVD from the states I guess and I had to change the region code but I didnt think much of it..

Is there any way around this?

This does seem to be a bit of a joke..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I always thought computers didn't have specific regions for decoding. I guess I was wrong.

Maybe you could try a program like MacTheRipper or Handbrake to convert them and then you should be able to watch them.

Reaction score
Ok, what is the region for Cali? Or USA or whatever. Im trying to make a highlight video, and it just comes up with random characters instead of video. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: In reffering to a football video using mactheripper, and no, in no illegal ways

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
So, I have watched a few DVD's on my new iMac now I can't seem to be able to watch anymore?

This is a joke. I was watching AVATAR on DVD from the states I guess and I had to change the region code but I didnt think much of it..

Is there any way around this?

This does seem to be a bit of a joke..
You can change the DVD region up to 5 times (it will warn you each time) - after that your region is locked in.

Unfortunately it's a restriction that hollywood enforced on device manufacturers in able to stagger DVD releases by region.

Pop in an ozzie DVD and see if you can still play it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Ah... good ol Hollywood and RIAA. Like any of this has ever done them any good to prevent piracy. They continue their efforts to alienate the very consumer who they expect to purchase their products. Pirates in China and Russia could care less about DRM and locking regions on devises. They have plenty of tools to overcome these easily. It is the average consumer that gets hosed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.