• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wii: Fun or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
I still don't get it, whats so great about a wii? i understand that non-gamers and families enjoy this because of its ease of us.

IMO the wii is no fun.

cuz all it is, is a motion sensitive remote that offers interactivity, offers no great graphics, audio sucks, and games aren't that great.

I was at a friends house for a week, and we played wii everyday, from day one, it was a shallow experience.

So what do you think of the wii?

i have an original xbox (which is more enjoyable than the wii), and have played on a 360 numerous times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're clearly not the intended demographic for the Wii. All of the things you find to be cons are actually its greatest assets for those it is marketed toward. Your last sentence is proof of this.

The casual gamer doesn't care for stellar graphics and sound, nor do they want anything too in depth, so a "shallow experience" is just perfect.

I personally own both the Xbox360 and the Wii and find both to be infinitely fun, but different kinds of fun. I enjoy the more in depth games on the 360 and playing games like Halo with friends is fun. The Wii is a great platform for enjoying a game with family and friends, especially those who aren't big gamers. My parents and sisters would never sit down and play an Xbox game with me. But with the Wii, I've had people playing with me who had never touched a game controller before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I have a Wii and love it. I would not consider my self a die hard gamer and i do miss some of the in-depth games offered on the different platforms. But for me the Wii is a good fit. My gf loves it and originally thought she would hate it. Will i say it is the perfect system, no. But it is fun imo.

T

todd51

I really like the Wii and the games they have out for it. It's perfect for the gamer who doesn't play 24/7 and just wants to play every now and then. Not to mention being able to download classics is always a plus since I'm an older gamer who wants to be able to still play my old games that don't work anymore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's been said before, but yep. You're clearly not in it's target audience. I clearly am. I have no patience for having to learn 20 button actions to play a game that I really have no interest in playing for more than a half hour before I get back on with life. Thus, the Wii is far more up my alley than any of the other offerings.. which I've had a couple, and sold since I don't use them anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I had a Wii and sold it, but I think it is an awesome little console. Its fun, and would play it at a friends house, but it didn't interest me enough to keep it.

Reaction score
I have never played any of the REAL wii games. Just the ones with all the mini games. It was neat. Something I couldnt do everyday, but I think they are the things that alot of people can enjoy, without much practice. My vote goes for fun, it does what it intends to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
RAWR XBAWKS!!1!

I'ze just kidding, but I really don't care for the Wii in the slightest.

The gimmick just never really sold me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
It's ok. Like so many have said, it's targeted towards the non-gamers, and for that it works beautifully. Not to mention it is innovative in it's own right. Not for me though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I love it... and I'm definitely not a gamer. It's actually my mum's...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I do play games sometimes. I'd call myself a hard gamer but in short bursts only, cause my life, my job and other things always take up my time.

Sure when you get a wii and play the wii sports game included people think hey this is fun but there's no real gaming substance behind this whole thing. Well many of my friends think this. They just can't see how a wii can be fin for a long time.

Well personally I disagree. I think the wii is catering to all people in the gaming market as well as the more serious gamers. Metriod Prime 3, Smash Bros Brawl And Zelda Twilight Princess are three good examples of something for the more intense gamers.

Actually you can play the wii every day given the right games and enough time. But it's a personal choice. Some will like it and others will not.

Reaction score
I got all of the competing consoles (wii, ps3, x360 + portable versions (DS + PSP)) and, well besides my gaming rig, I find that wii is that platform with which I have had the most fun. And I know why, though the graphics are from the previous generation, the gameplay is from the next. The x360 and ps3 aren't next gen consoles. They are excactly the same as their previous generation, but with improved graphics and sound, but does this make the experience any more enjoyable compared to playing at a ps2 / original xbox? I think not. If you have ever tried the wii, you will know why it succeeds. Accessibility... You can play with anyone, and that is what makes the wii so fun.

Don't get me wrong, the ps3 and x360 are fine consoles too, but they just don't offer anything beside what their ancestors did. But it is really a personal thing. Do you prefer playing alone, or with others? I believe you will get the best multiplayer experience with the wii (when not considering network-play).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
They're a good laugh if there are a few of you and the alcohol's flowing!

But I wouldn't regard it as a serious console, compared with the PS3 or 360.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
They're a good laugh if there are a few of you and the alcohol's flowing!

But I wouldn't regard it as a serious console, compared with the PS3 or 360.

Why not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24", 2.8 GHz Extreme, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD | iPod Nano 3G, 4GB
I think it's fun. A good exercise if you get nothing else out of it. Plus, being able to purchase and play NES, SNES, Sega and N64 games gives me a nostalgia feeling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.