• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

checking interest: Mac-Forums "movie club"

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i was thinking about doing this this last week after seeing donnie darko for the first time. i know i've seen people mention this movie on the forum and i'd wanted to see it for some time, but after seeing it, i really wanted to discuss it with others. and now listening to joy division's love will tear us apart, it kind of jogged my memory...

so it got me to thinking, maybe we could do some sort of real informal "movie club" like a book club. every couple weeks or so, we pick a movie to watch, and then talk about it. where the movie was strong, where it fell apart, what some of the more confusing parts may have meant, comments on acting, direction, writing, photography, etc.

of course, we'd probably focus on movies that can stand up to deep scrutiny or review, not simple blockbusters. and of course the occasional classic film that many of us could stand to watch again, or for the first time. and for the ease of most people, the movies should be out of the theater - on dvd/available online, whatever...

right off the top of my head i'm thinking of movies like: donnie darko, the pianist, 2001: a space odyssey, the deer hunter, primer, the machinist, amelie, princess mononoke, gangs of new york, the godfather.

who would be interested in something like this?
also, do you have any idea for format, movies to watch, how it should be set up, etc?

jah

Reaction score
a post: "sleepers you have seen" has done well on the forum s2ki.com/froums

-i consult the forum to see what peeps are thinking about a movie before seeing one in a theater. why get a review from strangers?

some movies i picked off the s2ki forum:
Before Sunset, Fountain 2006, High Art, Leon the Professional 1994, lookout 2007, Wild Orchid.

your idea is good, lets do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
First movie we watch should be "the thin red line".... best movie i have ever seen IMO and i wouldn't mind watching it again.

I'm also interested in doing this. Might be fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm on board...

Just give us a date to watch it by that's a bit in advance... so I have time to rent it through amazon :)

Make a new post with a poll to pick a movie democratically!

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
perhaps each month we can have a movie that we have decided on in advance by poll in the previous months thread?

and each person who posts, in their initial post, can add a suggestion for the month after.

like this:

january
film: the deer hunter
poll: donnie darko, the thin red line, on the waterfront
top three suggestions from members: magnolia, gangs of new york, gattica

february
film: the thin red line (winner of poll)
poll: magnolia, gangs of new york, gattica
top three suggestions from members: on the waterfront, heat, akira

march
film: gangs of new york (winner of poll)
poll: on the waterfront, heat, akira
top three suggestions: memento, donnie darko, run lola run

and of course we could always "push" a movie that ends up on the poll constantly but somehow never gets the votes it needs.

any thoughts? i could run this, sort of how iwhat usually posts the pic of the month...

oh, in the spirit of this, feel free to suggest 1-3 movies for the first poll.

Reaction score
This sounds like a great idea! Sorry I don't have any suggestions, I don't watch too many movies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I like it Eric.

My suggestions are the last few movies I've seen: Layer Cake, American Gangster, and Once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I like the sounds of this.

Just got done watching Birth of a Nation, which is definitely my suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm down with it.

Birth of a Nation? man I haven't seen that since college. Yep, that one could raise some interesting conversation.

Are people open to foreign language films as well? Good stuff to be had there from the likes of Akira Kurosawa and Federico Fellini. If so, given the current condition I'd recommend The Battle of Algiers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Certainly in. We have to do Fight Club, Sweeney Todd and Vantage Point - favourite movies right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
This sounds like an amazing idea Eric!

I would totally be down :) I used to watch movies constantly, but I have been slacking lately...

I second Akira Kurosawa movies. And add Brazil!

jah

Reaction score
do Sweeney Todd and ... favourite movies right now.

Sweeney Todd
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
is soooo ghay as there is no art in decadence.

i worked in a dmz neighborhood emergency room in college. every shift new bad would auto magic arrive at the door step.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Sounds like a good idea

I nominate Battlefield Earth (only joking ;D )

Seriously, it may be a foriegn language film (Dutch) but i recommend Black Book (Zwartboek)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Sweeney Todd
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
is soooo ghay as there is no art in decadence.

i worked in a dmz neighborhood emergency room in college. every shift new bad would auto magic arrive at the door step.

I disagree, but, eh.. maybe it's not your kind of a movie and you don't see the brilliance in it, no reason to slander it or call it gay.
-------

I would like to suggest Wristcutters: A love story It's a great movie, don't let the title make you weary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I think this would be a good idea. I love discussing movies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Great idea!!

I nominate: 2001 Space Odyssey, Basic, Godfather, The Pursuit of Happyness, and Trapped in Paradise

So when do we start??

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i was just hoping to get a few more nominations. if not, i'll put together a new thread soon with a poll, and just pick one movie to watch/review for this month.

2001 may be a good start. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm in.

How about Blade Runner, Fight Club or Lost In Translation

mrplow

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.