• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is this guy serious?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Subject: Your Apple Inquiry - W37255913

Hello Matthew,

My name is Derek Mello. I am contacting you to introduce myself as your personal representative for the Apple Online Store. I wanted to thank you for the time you have spent on our web site. I am here to answer questions or concerns you may have and help find the best solution for your needs. Be sure to call or email me before you buy to take advantage of a complimentary consultation for added value to your purchasing decisions. I can be reached at (800)-409-5381 ext. 2553. I look forward to working with you soon.

Thanks,

Derek Mello
Apple Computer, Inc.
(800) 409-5381 ext: 2553
Hours: Pacific Standard Time
Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m.- 6:00 p.m.
Friday 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

That was an email that was sent to me. Is this for real? And just how do they know that I've been spending time on the site?? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
"Subject: Your Apple Inquiry - W37255913"

You have an apple account apparently, with a registered email and have made a shopping cart and saved it (that is the inquiry number). :) Wonders of databases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Sounds like a scam, although the English is unusually good.

If you don't want any consultation, and are quite happy to live your life without contacting this Mello person then just completely ignore the message

hang on - I googled the number - it is a scam

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc47b5d/0

PS if you know anything about email headers you can find out if the email came from apple or somewhere else. If you are worried by this try contacting Apple to see if that number really is an Apple phone number - I am sure they would in interested if it isn't

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Interesting find louishen... I had someone email me too that same thing... I just slightly ignored it though. I don't like things by email unless I have specifically emailed them first or given them my email.

edit: Wait, at the end it seems Cindy ended up buying it from him after all, and got a genuine Apple tracking number and such... I don't know, maybe I missed something.

This was March 17
Saved cart number: W36726964

My name is Justin Pearson. I am contacting you to introduce myself as your personal representative for the Apple Online Store. I wanted to thank you for the time you have spent on our web site. I am here to answer questions or concerns you may have and help find the best solution for your needs. Be sure to call or email me before you buy to take advantage of a complimentary consultation for added value to your purchasing decisions. I can be reached at (800)-409-5381 ext. 2906. I look forward to working with you soon.

Thanks,

Justin Pearson
Account Executive
Apple Product Professional
Apple Computer Inc
[email protected]
1-800-409-5381 ext. 2906

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, ogacon, watch out online

I was almost scammed once

I foolishly went on Myspace and soon started attracting great looking females, I got chatting online to one (who said she was in Atlanta) and soon a request for money to visit me started. That got me thinking, so I goggled "her" yahoo id and bingo, came up with a 419 scammer forum

I did what the forum advised, break of all contact - don't even tell them you know they are scammers. Now I am more wary online. There are plenty of cool people about, but if something seems too good to be true, chances are it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I can tell you that he is a real Apple employee, in the company directory and everything. Phone number is legit and all. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I saved a cart during the process of ordering my MBP. Because I qualify for a discount program I ended up having the phone representative order it for me. About a day later I received email from an Apple sales rep regarding my saved cart that was pretty much identical to this one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Thanks for all of your input... I think I'm just gonna ignore it :)

Reaction score
I talked to a customer today who told me to google my name with Apple. This forum is at the top of the list. I wish I could have come here in April.

It is not a scam and the information on my email is very accurate. If anyone wants to talk about getting a Mac I would be happy to help. I have been here for years.

Justin Pearson sits two seats behind me and we have worked in this department for a long time. I look forward to working with anyone that needs to purchase something from Apple.

Thanks,
Derek Mello
Apple Computer, Inc
Monday - Friday: 7:00am-4:00pm
[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
I talked to a customer today who told me to google my name with Apple. This forum is at the top of the list. I wish I could have come here in April.

It is not a scam and the information on my email is very accurate. If anyone wants to talk about getting a Mac I would be happy to help. I have been here for years.

Justin Pearson sits two seats behind me and we have worked in this department for a long time. I look forward to working with anyone that needs to purchase something from Apple.

Thanks,
Derek Mello
Apple Computer, Inc
Monday - Friday: 7:00am-4:00pm
[email protected]
that is very sincere of you. thanks for joining the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
mshale said:
Thanks for all of your input... I think I'm just gonna ignore it

good for you!!! after i posted here, someone pointed somethings out to me about his post and i am going to retract my statement and say be cautious!!

Reaction score
I just came here to try and tell you guys that myself and Justin both work for the Apple Online Store. It would appear there is still some doubt and that is ok. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

We always have the 1-800-MY-APPLE phone number for you to call or you can visit one of our many retail outlets. As an Employee and Stockholder of Apple I am perfectly fine with this as well.

I am just here to help. Some of you paint me in a bad light and I hope that someone who googles this again can read my side and make the best decision they can.

In the end I am just happy that you are Apple Customers. It doesn't really matter where you purchase your Macs as long as you keep purchasing them. :D

Good luck in all you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
welcome aboard

Apologise to Justin Pearson for me, I cannot remember where I found that original link, its a dead link now anyway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.