boot camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK PRO 2.6ghz 4gb ram
I unfortunately desperately need to install windows on my mbp but have no way of backing up all my information as my portable hard drive decided to pack up today how much of a risk am i taking if i install it without doing a back up of my hard drive first? thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I unfortunately desperately need to install windows on my mbp but have no way of backing up all my information as my portable hard drive decided to pack up today how much of a risk am i taking if i install it without doing a back up of my hard drive first? thanks

It's a risk for sure. Anytime you repartition a hard disk, you're making a major modification to the filesystem. With that said, I've never seen Boot Camp severely damage the partition providing that:

1. You shut down the computer and clean boot it.
2. Close any programs that open automatically in the background.
3. Start up the Boot Camp Assistant and allow it to do its thing *without* doing anything else on the machine at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb, 250Gb, 10.5.2

I would not recommend installing BootCamp without a backup. I've experienced kernel panics and some strange errors when trying to partition my disk while running through the BootCamp utility.

If nothing else, back up your user files to DVD/CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
No problems on the two machines I've done it to. It's a risk, but probably only a 5% one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
I not only partitioned with Boot Camp but also a week later un-partitioned when I decided VM with Parallels was sufficient.

Didn't do a back up because the machine was new and only had the basic configuration as supplied.

That said, both manouevres were flawless. 'It did what it says on the can'.

But there again, I fly 30 year old freighters, in the dark, in Africa, so obviously live dangerously anyway !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.