Should I buy my MacBook off of eBay, here or refurb

Reaction score
I'm only 13, and don't really have a lot of money, and my parents think "Its outragous" to buy a laptop for 1000+ dollars.

They say if I can get up enough money (400 dollars) they will pay the rest for something 1100 or less, so I suppose Refurb I can get a better one. The saving up part isn't a problem but where do you think I should buy the macbook from

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

Buy your MacBook direct from Apple if at all possible. Refurbished is OK provided it's purchased from Apple and comes with a warranty. My other advice to you is to NOT purchase it from eBay! :Angry-Tongue:

Save your money and good luck.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Hi:

Buy your MacBook direct from Apple if at all possible. Refurbished is OK provided it's purchased from Apple and comes with a warranty. My other advice to you is to NOT purchase it from eBay! :Angry-Tongue:

Save your money and good luck.

Regards.

WH/SS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 inch, white, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB,250GB Serial ATA Drive
Ebay is full of scam artists, and do you want your hard earned money to go to that ? personally

Maybe if you sit down with mom and dad and show them the pro's and con's on a mac versus the cheap pc then they will understand. Also - they can finance it providing they have good credit. If you're 13 I'm sure you could do some odd jobs to make enough to pay for it, do you get an allowance ? he summer is coming (also rumor has it anupdate in June) so if you worked through the summer (mowing lawns, yard work for neighbors, babysitting etc...) would they meet you half way in buying a mac ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16GHz C2D, 160gb 5400rpm HD, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
considering your age, and having to deal with your parents...

getting an apple refurb will be your best bet. Easy to buy, and you get the 1 year apple warranty.

For $1100, you'll be able to get the best refurb model they have available. Also, I'd spring for the Apple Care Protection Plan... you never know what can happen.

Also, if the HD/Ram specs look skimpy, you can always upgrade yourself later!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive
You can get a MacBook for less than 1100, especially with the education discount. You have a year to get Apple Care after you purchase the computer you want.

Reaction score
I bought my MBP off eBay, with no problems at all. I did buy from a local seller though, so I could just drive over to meet them and pick it up. I've bought a few items off eBay with no issues.

I wouldn't say *every* Mac on eBay is a scam, but it's definitely a bit risky. There's telltale signs of scammers though, and using Paypal can reduce liability considerably.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I bought both my MB and my wife's iMac refurbished from Apple and we are very satisfied.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
Everywhere seems to sell macbooks/pro for the same price. If I were you I'd definitely suggest the refurbished center because you have a guarantee of quality, etc... there.

Ebay you would have to be so careful, and you constantly have to deal with ignorant people when going through them. Even with the paypal, if they don't send the laptop it takes "monthes" to get your money back.

Play it safe and fun and go with the refurb center. And good luck saving btw It seems like you are determined, and I'm sure you'll never regret it for a second :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb, 250Gb, 10.5.2
I'm only 13, and don't really have a lot of money, and my parents think "Its outragous" to buy a laptop for 1000+ dollars.

They say if I can get up enough money (400 dollars) they will pay the rest for something 1100 or less, so I suppose Refurb I can get a better one. The saving up part isn't a problem but where do you think I should buy the macbook from

I recommend purchasing a refurbished Mac. I've purchased several Mac's for myself and clients over the past few years. Most have been refurb's. The quality is the same as purchasing new and you save a considerable amount of money.

One other thing to consider is memory upgrades. I love Apple to death, but, they certainly overprice their memory. I've been buying memory from NewEgg.com and have had great service.

So, buy a refurb from Apple, max out your ram with NewEgg and enjoy your new Mac.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.