• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows, how thou have betrayed me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
So, I really have never had too much of a problem with Windows before. I mean, it has its flaws, but because I have used it most of my life, I have been fine with it.

Today, however, I hate it with a passion.

I have been working on this giant Excel document at work. When I left yesterday, I must have forgotten to save it. Today, I turn on the monitor and...***?!?! Windows has a happy little message telling me it updated itself and had to restart. How convenient! Thanks Windows, for making my life easy! >:O

Graaaaawl (mean sounding version)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Why would you set Windows to automatically update itself? That's the equivalent of giving a retarded kid the keys to your car ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Are you calling Windows a retarded kid??? Wait, it is a retarded kid. Good point! :D

cheesybanana, unfortunately you have a just learned a lesson that everyone seems to have to learn the hard way (that's how I learned it too) - always save your work frequently. At this point, when working on anything complicated, I almost reflexively save it about every 5 minutes. You never know when that next power outage might occur!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5 minutes? I hit Command+S at the end of every sentence!! ;P

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Why would you set Windows to automatically update itself? That's the equivalent of giving a retarded kid the keys to your car ;P

It is my work computer! I haven't messed with it at all. I have always kept them off on my home PC, so I didn't even think about it! And I like your analogy :p

It was my fault for not saving. I usually do save quite a bit when I am working on something and when I am done for the day. I must have just forgot that day.

ARG! I think the message is what made me the most mad. Like, 'Windows automatically restarted to update your system!' It was that exclamation point. It was mocking me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Doesn't Excel automatically make backups on its own? You may have a backup you don't know about with all your stuff in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, there's an autobackup feature in Office. It's possible that you can recover from the last autosave, which would obviously cover everything you did prior to the restart.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Right, there's an autobackup feature in Office. It's possible that you can recover from the last autosave, which would obviously cover everything you did prior to the restart.

I looked for it for a little while, but then just went ahead and redid what I lost.

It wasn't too much. I was saving as I was doing it, so its not like I lost the whole thing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Actually it's a good idea to save no matter what computer or OS you are using. Accidents happen, Power Failures, User Error, ETC.

I really trust my Macs and OSX but still I save often. One never knows. Nothing is perfect.

Automatic update on Windows can cause issues if it reboots the system and you are not there to stop it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Everyone who is a real Windows power user (of which I am but I do like my Macs) knows to never ever NEVER set Automatic Update to auto install....just change the setting to notify only.....then you have the final control on the update process, and as lifeisabeach and Kash has said, Office in the later versions (I think 2000 on for Windows) autosave currently saved documents regularly and again upon program shutdown. One of Microsoft's better ideas....Your dpcument should be fully intact but go to System Properties, Automatic Update dialog and set it to notify only.......it should be the last option before turning it completely off....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
It's never a good idea to let Windows do anything on it's own.

I understand that Microsoft is doing everything they can to push out Windows 7 as quickly as possible. Vista continues to haunt them, and they are trying to sweep it under the carpet as quickly as they can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's never a good idea to let Windows do anything on it's own.

I understand that Microsoft is doing everything they can to push out Windows 7 as quickly as possible. Vista continues to haunt them, and they are trying to sweep it under the carpet as quickly as they can.

Yup... and the sooner they rush it out, the worse off it will be. Heh... actually I wouldn't be surprised if they simply re-dress XP and claim it as a newer, faster Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Our corporate setup is to have HP Radia maintain all of the Windows PCs. (We have 6,000 people in the company.) When Radia does its thing (usually at a bloody inconvenient time), it will sometimes tell you it's about to update something. Security updates to Windows however happen automatically. If/when there's a need for reboot, if you're around, you get 5 minutes to postpone the reboot. Otherwise, it will reboot on its own.

Does that mean a retarded kid is running our ... no, I can't say that here. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Yup... and the sooner they rush it out, the worse off it will be. Heh... actually I wouldn't be surprised if they simply re-dress XP and claim it as a newer, faster Windows.

They rushed Vista, look what happened. :) Windows users will be happy if it is XP again... I actually ENJOYED XP when I had it, and never thought I would want a Mac. I was one of the most anti-mac people in the world, until Vista. Thanks microsoft for showing me the light side :) Call it Windows XP7 or something, and sales will go up, just the fact it would be related to XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They rushed Vista, look what happened. :) Windows users will be happy if it is XP again... I actually ENJOYED XP when I had it, and never thought I would want a Mac. I was one of the most anti-mac people in the world, until Vista. Thanks microsoft for showing me the light side :) Call it Windows XP7 or something, and sales will go up, just the fact it would be related to XP

LOL! Yeah... XP2. Or... howsabout "Windows XP Reloaded"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Sounds like PEBKAC than a Windows problem. Moving on...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.