• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Acvhd And Mac

Reaction score
i was thinking about getting a sony HDR-SR11, but ive done some research and found that many have trouble with the avchd video format it records in, in relation to the mac. If anybody has got this camera or using this video format, is it worth buying the camera, using the format, or just avoiding the two completely? What other hard-drive hd camcorders are available for around the same pricerange?

Thanks for your help,

tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
I have the Sony Hdr-sr5 which also uses the Acvhd format. I use iMovie08 which can use the format to retrieve my videos from off of my camcorder. From there i import those files into final cut express. I'm using a two step process that is not hard at all :).

BTW: i really love the sony hdr-sr series they have very good quality. Another camera that i've taken a liking to is the can-hv20. If you search at vimeo.com with the (can hv20) tag. You will see some very impressive videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I have a Canon HG10, which records in AVCHD.

I use Final Cut Express 4.0, and it works quite well.

There are 2 drawbacks to AVCHD wtih Macs:
1) Transfers take long because the software converts AVCHD into AIC (Apple's codec) as it transfers from the camera.

2) If you have a HDD-based camera, there's no way to archive video files without transcoding them...you can't store them in their native form on your computer.

Other than that, I haven't had any issues.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Fiveightandten, have you tried VoltaicHD?

Reaction score
I have the sony HDR 12 and when I try log and transfer only certain clips show up, not all of the clips that are on the camera. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.