Parallels with Serial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac
Before I buy parallels can anyone tell me if it will support a USB serial adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but as a general rule, the USB ports on your Mac will work with Parallels/Windows the same as they work on any other PC running Windows. When you plug a USB device in while running Parallels, a dialogue box pops up asking if you would like to connect the USB device to the virtual desktop (Windows).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yes, it will, and that's precisely the type of thing I bought it for. Especially the current version. My wife has an Olympus digital voice recorder that uses USB to transfer the recordings which is about as non-Mac compatible as any device I've owned (even my GPS and other devices at least show up on my Macbook as drives.) With Parallels and the Windows OS installed under it I can transfer those recordings, and then drag and drop them over to the "Mac side" to manipulate and/or make available for my wife once she has made them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Certainly does, I have all sorts plugged in on a 7 way hub - in fairness I don't have them all showing in Parallels, only the ones I need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Oh by the way - the hub is externally powered as you wouldn't be able to draw the current necessary for multiple USB devices from the two slots on a MBP (in my case).

The 'bonus' with a hub is you only need to use one of the two USB ports. I used to plug my IR mouse in the other but have gone down the BT mouse and am deeply happy with that, also freeing up the 'spare' USB slot.

Reaction score
The OP is asking a question that goes beyond simply plugging your USB-enabled camera into your machine. Maxdog, is there any reason you don't want to use your Mac to make serial connections natively? I know that the IOgear USB to serial adapter works on the Mac (a friend uses it). I have one I haven't tested it yet.

For USB-to-serial to work within parallels, you'd have to be able to see what COM port the adapter associates with. And all that COM port stuff would have to work within parallels. I suppose I could test it for you via Hyperterminal, but I'm pretty busy just now. Maybe you could take a router and an adapter to an Apple store and ask an eager 20-something to assist?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.