• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mustang meet the deer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
n1334370223_30555649_1642.jpg

I was driving down the high way and a deer jumped over the barrier (or was hit on the other side and flew across) and went right in my path, I didn't see it until it was after I hit it and it flew over my windshield. Now I really can't sell it, unless I'm selling it to somebody who doesn't really care that it got hit by a deer.

But it was an interesting experience to say the least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Well at least you got a good meal out of it. ;)

Reaction score
get it fixed without insurance coverage and "most" people will not be able to tell... unless, of course, you get it fixed by some shotty body shop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Ouch. Good to hear you're ok though. Hitting a large animal can often times be fatal for the driver as well.

I'll say one thing though, deer are a serious problem here in Jersey. We really need to get their population under control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Ouch... Just about every place in Minnesota you aren't near the city, there is a deer crossing sign. I see three of them every time I leave my neighborhood.

T

todd51

That sucks man, glad that your okay though. I have never hit a deer (knock on wood) yet in my life which I am surprised by that. There are a lot of deer around here where I live and a lot of my friends have hit them in the past. I will say I have come close, my e-brake came in handy that day. :)

Reaction score
I'll say one thing though, deer are a serious problem here in Jersey. We really need to get their population under control.

That is how alot of us hunters, not to mention farmers (although I am not a farmer, but have friends who are) feel also. extend the season to shoot them. Another week before and after would do alot of good. After all, there are still plenty of deer in the off season that need shot! I find it weird a person can breed a cow, pig or chicken then kill it, sell it or eat it at anytime, but cannot kill a wild animal (whose population, not to mention, is HUGE) like a deer at any time of the year.

I guess there are some people who think the antlers are the real deal though... I have been taught, and will always say to my children... "You cannot eat the antlers!" Sure if you see a huge buck, why not shoot it as a trophy, but whats the point of taking an average 8 point? As a trophy? No one is going to say "wow, what a great 8 point," most hunters shoot an 8 point, every year. Shoot a few doe a year, eat them move on. Youll get your trophy next year...

I say make it illegal to shoot less than a 10 point, shoot as many doe as you want (as long as you, or family will use them) and get on with it. All they are doing is crop damage and hurting us in the long run.

Same argument with trapping. People who do not know, or care to know, think trapping hurts animals and their population, when in reality it hardly does anything to their population, not to mention a properly trapped animal can be safely released with no harm done.

/end of rant

I am glad you are safe, but I say extend the season and let me eat deer for a full year, instead of having to buy steroid induced cows and pigs for 6 months of the year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

I actually yelled when I saw that picture! It's good you're ok though, and the damage doesn't look too terrible.

Deer can be dangerous. Technically they are the deadliest animal in America due to car accidents. My mother has hit at least two, one in a car she had bought the same week. She was fine both times though. I came within what I'm sure was inches of hitting one in my '65 Mustang. (I could hear his hooves scraping on the pavement!) That would have been a tragedy.

I hope you can get it fixed up, and treat yourself to a few "extra" parts while you're at it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hit a deer once, wasn't a pleasant experience since it was on the highway and I was driving 80MPH. I slammed on my brakes and nicked the deer's snout at around 65MPH. My uncle was driving behind me and he said he saw the animal's head snap a full 180. Luckily, my car only suffered a small dent.

Reaction score
Actually you were very lucky! I have friends who have hit deer and their cars were in a lllooootttttt worse shape then that! (ps: I wonder if the deers name was...........BAMby)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
That is how alot of us hunters, not to mention farmers (although I am not a farmer, but have friends who are) feel also. extend the season to shoot them. Another week before and after would do alot of good. After all, there are still plenty of deer in the off season that need shot! I find it weird a person can breed a cow, pig or chicken then kill it, sell it or eat it at anytime, but cannot kill a wild animal (whose population, not to mention, is HUGE) like a deer at any time of the year.

I guess there are some people who think the antlers are the real deal though... I have been taught, and will always say to my children... "You cannot eat the antlers!" Sure if you see a huge buck, why not shoot it as a trophy, but whats the point of taking an average 8 point? As a trophy? No one is going to say "wow, what a great 8 point," most hunters shoot an 8 point, every year. Shoot a few doe a year, eat them move on. Youll get your trophy next year...

I say make it illegal to shoot less than a 10 point, shoot as many doe as you want (as long as you, or family will use them) and get on with it. All they are doing is crop damage and hurting us in the long run.

Same argument with trapping. People who do not know, or care to know, think trapping hurts animals and their population, when in reality it hardly does anything to their population, not to mention a properly trapped animal can be safely released with no harm done.

/end of rant

I am glad you are safe, but I say extend the season and let me eat deer for a full year, instead of having to buy steroid induced cows and pigs for 6 months of the year.

I agree with most of what you're saying here. Make the season longer for sure, but, better yet, why not have a year round deer hunting license that costs more than the seasonal one?

I'd be all over that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
D: Ouch dude! I've luckily never hit, nor been hit by anything... We don't have a deer problem in Australia - gotta watch out for kangaroos though...

Reaction score
Yep, accidents on the roads with deer are very popular in Russia..
I have seen one when I was driving in the country side.. It could be really dangerous as this animal is really big.. :Smirk:

picture.jpg

dtp%20los.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Wow. Glad to hear you're ok! That must have been intense, to say the least.
Does insurance cover deer damage?:Confused:

Reaction score
Eek, too bad about the Mustang. Just recently I learnt how scary hitting a large animal can be.

The guy I work with and I had a very close encounter with a kangaroo in the truck, just a few weeks back. It was quite early in the morning and three large kangaroos just seemingly appeared out of no where. We missed the first, swerved and just missed the second but unfortunately the third one wasn't so lucky. Fortunately for my co-worker (who owns the truck), the bull bar did its job.

Reaction score
Glad you're okay. Deer are pretty stout animals and can definitely do a lot of damage to cars -- especially newer ones.

Long ago when my in-laws lived in the toolies, my wife, mother-in-law and I hopped in an old '57 Chevy to head into town for my sister-in-law's wedding rehearsal. About .5 miles from the house I spotted two deer on the side of the road looking as if they were getting ready to jump and cross the road, so I started slowing and managed to get to 45 from about 55 before they jumped in front of us. We missed the first one, but I hit the second one square in the hind-quarters on the drivers' side of the car -- then things went into slow motion. We did a 180 and ended-up in the wrong lane facing in the opposite direction we were originally heading and the car was still running. My mother-in-law was flying around in the back seat (car didn't have seat belts in the back seat) -- not sure how or why I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw that, but I can remember it like it happened yesterday. We never saw the deer after we hit it. It had jumped a 6' fence and probably continued into the cornfield. We were lucky that no other cars were on the road or it could have been much worse.

Anyway, the old Chevy fared much better than your Mustang. We got to the side of the road and assessed the car for damage (and waited to stop shaking before we went back home). The headlight was broken, but other than some hair and a little blood stuck in the headlight mount assembly -- nothing, not a scratch or a dent just the broken headlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, accidents on the roads with deer are very popular in Russia..
I have seen one when I was driving in the country side.. It could be really dangerous as this animal is really big.. :Smirk:

picture.jpg

dtp%20los.jpg

Dude, that's no deer, that's a MOOSE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Better it be a deer than another car.

Selling a car that's been in an accident can be difficult but do able. Make sure the frame is straight and get a good shop to do the repair. See if you can get a copy of the work and a statement that says it's all straight. It will put the buyers mind at ease hopefully.

At least you're ok, right PB?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
n1334370223_30555649_1642.jpg

I was driving down the high way and a deer jumped over the barrier (or was hit on the other side and flew across) and went right in my path, I didn't see it until it was after I hit it and it flew over my windshield. Now I really can't sell it, unless I'm selling it to somebody who doesn't really care that it got hit by a deer.

But it was an interesting experience to say the least.
Glad to hear you are okay. My Mustang had damage similar to yours when a car made a right turn into me. The damage did not look that bad, but after they got in to the repairs they found other things broken. The major cost was the replacement of the bumper. You would not know of the repair to my except after about 10 years the paint has not held up like the original paint has.

After taking a second look at the picture your damage looks like mine. Do you have a problem with opening the drivers door?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I think you could get it repaired and sell it. One observation, however: You hit the deer, it didn't hit you! Unless, of course, you want to go with the "flying deer" story... ;D

I drive a truck. About four years ago, I was traveling westbound on US84 about 25 miles east of Montgomery, Alabama at about 11:30 p.m.. It is a windy, two-lane road in that area and, frankly, no one was out there so I was moving at a pretty good clip. Out of nowhere (isn't it always?) this small, fork-horned buck runs right into my path. I hit him at about 60-65 MPH and he runs under the truck. Within 15 seconds, I was getting all sorts of overheating warnings and less than a minute after impact, the truck's computer shut the truck off to spare the motor. He impacted the radiator, if you hadn't guessed, and that's all she wrote. Around 2 a.m., the wrecker showed up and towed me down to Freightliner in Montgomery where I spent the next two days. So even tractor/trailers are vulnerable to the damage deer-sized animals can cause. What stunk (other than the remains of that deer under the truck that hot Alabama summer night) was I was on the way home, just 3 hours away, when it happened!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.