• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I want it!

OP
C
Reaction score
$150 for a laptop. And apparently you can submit designs you want. Very cool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Those are insanely gorgeous!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
There are many of them floating around on the net, check out flickr. Search for engraved macbook.

I plan on doing a promotion soon with a MBP, getting it engraved with sponsor "ads", basically selling the casing of the laptop for ad space. It's been done before, but I'm doing it differently and I'm doing it with companies / websites that deserve the ad exposure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
If I had the money, I'd do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
There are many of them floating around on the net, check out flickr. Search for engraved macbook.

I plan on doing a promotion soon with a MBP, getting it engraved with sponsor "ads", basically selling the casing of the laptop for ad space. It's been done before, but I'm doing it differently and I'm doing it with companies / websites that deserve the ad exposure.

How would one go about setting this up? I'm intrigued and thoroughly considering this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Those are pretty cool designs, but I don't think I like the permanence of it. Engraving ads has been used to make money before. There was a video circulating last year about a girl who completely financed the purchase of her new MBP by selling ad space on the back of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Yeah, that's her. There have been some other people that have done it as well. she did some other bigger named companies/ websites, they weren't all related either. I plan to do it with smaller sites and companies that could use the ad space and the exposure since it'll be in the public eye quite a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You people are willing to sell your soul for a free MBP?

I couldn't do it. I feel like I'd be cheapen who I am by turning into a walking advertisement. Although it's the laptop with the logos, you'll be the parading around town. The corporations will own your soul!!

Why do you think little shops will hand over $200 or so for an engraving and advertisement? $200 is a lot of money for one advertisement for a little company to consider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose I'll just save my pennies then.

Only 229,900 pennies to go.

Hmm, or I could go refurb.

Then there's only 169,900 pennies to go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
well keep your eyes on the ground for pennies then and you will get one before you know it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
woah those are nice engravngs. Need some ffor an iMac, just below the screen.

Reaction score
woah those are nice engravngs. Need some ffor an iMac, just below the screen.

You know this whole idea is great for either discouraging thefts or finding your stolen computer very quickly. It would certainly stand out.

OP
C
Reaction score
That is true. If its yours, its yours. Especially if you make the design yourself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, update on Operation: Pennies for a Pro.

As of current I'm at:

000355/180000 pennies.

0409081227un5.jpg

The only part I gave out of my own money was the dollar so I could start at 100 pennies. From there it's just loose change or whatever I find on the floor.

I'm getting there guys. I'll keep you posted.

*edit*

Now that I really think about this, I could get a PayPal account up and do this the old fashioned way:

YouTube begging!

It got that one guy the G5 PowerMac.

I think I could do it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well Derek, if you can keep up that pace of 255 pennies every 22 hours, you'll be able to order your new machine about Dec. 15th or 16th, 2009.

You should get it, just in time for Christmas. :D

Get a little job and save about 720 pennies a day and you could have it in time for this Christmas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.