MBP en route

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I just ordered a macbook pro 2.5ghz 4gb RAM, 250 5400 HD. I am very excited.

I am also keeping my windows based laptop (mainly for software that they don't make for mac). I am buying a portable external harddrive which is compatible with both mac and windows so I was planning on storing my 10,000+ pictures and also my music on there so depending on what computer I'm on I can switch that stuff around.

I have been reading a lot of bad reviews about iphoto organizing a lot of files...should I just keep my photo managing to piscasa(which i love) until there is a version made for mac?

Also:

Best web browser to use?

Best AIM program?

Best DVD copying program?

Any other programs worth getting that are freeware?? I did read somewhere a program that works with spotlight that is supposed to be really good...what is it called and what is so great about it??

Any other help would be great! I'm real excited about getting the MBP in the mail!

Reaction score
I just ordered a macbook pro 2.5ghz 4gb RAM, 250 5400 HD. I am very excited.

I am also keeping my windows based laptop (mainly for software that they don't make for mac). I am buying a portable external harddrive which is compatible with both mac and windows so I was planning on storing my 10,000+ pictures and also my music on there so depending on what computer I'm on I can switch that stuff around.

I have been reading a lot of bad reviews about iphoto organizing a lot of files...should I just keep my photo managing to piscasa(which i love) until there is a version made for mac?

Also:

Best web browser to use?

Best AIM program?

Best DVD copying program?

Any other programs worth getting that are freeware?? I did read somewhere a program that works with spotlight that is supposed to be really good...what is it called and what is so great about it??

Any other help would be great! I'm real excited about getting the MBP in the mail!
You can use Bootcamp (free with Leopard) to install Windows alongside Mac OS X on a separate partition if you want to, it works fine the moment, maybe one or two driver issues, but nothing important anymore.

Web Browser: Safari is pretty good, optimised Firefox builds are awesome, or Camino if you're not bothered about plugins.

AIM: iChat or Adium work fine (Adium doesn't support the iSight camera though)

iPhoto: Works alright for me, I only have 3-5k photos though, It's better than PIscasa, in my opinion. You could also try Aperture, there's a free trial here.

edit - Sorry, just a bit of friendly advice, if you ever order from the Apple Store again, get your RAM elsewhere! Apple really like to mark up memory :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
RAM is the same price through Lenovo, and last I recall Dell. So it's not just Apple. OEM's REALLY like to charge too much for RAM ;)

DVD?

handbrake - converting to mp4
mactheripper - ripping
toast - burning (as much as I dislike roxio's windows offerings in preference for nero.. Toast has so far been extremely functional)
AIM - you can use iChat.. but if you want a multi-protocol chat client I prefer adium
Browsers - Mozilla or Safari, even Camino.. not necessarily in that order, although you can install Inquisitor with Safari, which is cool.. works like spotlight for the web

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
I've been pretty impressed with the standard applications you get with Leopard - it's worth giving them a try for the tasks you want to do.

If you're a Firefox user in Windows then you'll probably want to install it on your MBP so you can keep any add-ons you're familiar with. Another nice touch is the Foxmarks add-on which will let you sync your bookmarks between your Windows machine and your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.