Looking to get an iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
I was looking to purchase an I-Mac next month since I am in dire need of it due to some video editing jobs I have coming up.

Is the software on it sufficient or should I purchase any of the others they have to offer?

Is the I-Mac powerful enough to handle video editing with ease?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Video editing help please

As of next month I plan to be a new user to Mac when I purchase a new I-Mac & I don't know much about the editing software. I have zero experiece.

My questions are:

Is it easy to figure out & work with?

I know the I-Mac comes with I-Movie, but is upgrading to Final Cut worth it? Also what can I do with Final Cut that I can't with I-Movie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What's an I-Mac?... or I-Movie, for that matter?

;)

First things first... it's lowercase "i", no hyphen, then capital letter.
eg. iMac, iMovie, iPod, iPhoto, iTunes...etc.
(sorry, pet peeve of mine and it may seem anal to some. However, if you want to get into Macs and the world of Apple, you should learn the correct names and spellings of things)
:)

Now, if you are looking to do some heavy editing for a professional job, skip iMovie. You are going to really need Final Cut for a job like that. iMovie's features are too limited.
If you are just looking to get started and learn some basics, then iMovie will be fine to get you going at first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
If you're looking to just put some clips together, and put some music/voiceovers/titles over them and maybe add in some transitions, iMovie is for you, but if you are also going to want to do slow mo and put a frame in reverse or add video filters... basically everything you can do in iMovie x100 than you'll need final cut. Apple has some basic tutorials for it on their site and you can find some around the web too. Idk what you want to do, but since you need to do it quick and have no experience whatsoever it sounds like iMovie will be good to get you going and get this project out of the way, maybe get Final cut and learn up on it sometime later.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, that is what I want to here. I think my skills have surpassed the basic stuff & I need to move onto something more substantial.

Since I have posted this, I stopped at the Apple storeand asked more questions & worked with the "iMac" to have a little touchy feely session with it.

Reaction score
First things first... it's lowercase "i", no hyphen, then capital letter.
eg. iMac, iMovie, iPod, iPhoto, iTunes...etc.
(sorry, pet peeve of mine and it may seem anal to some. However, if you want to get into Macs and the world of Apple, you should learn the correct names and spellings of things)

Ay Caramba

Sorry man, but its this kind of thing that IMO makes new or potential buyers think most Mac users are pretentious jerks. Seriously, why does it matter how its spelled? We all know what the guy is talking about. So "you cant get into the world of Macs/Apple" unless you spell correctly? Sheesh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Ay Caramba

Sorry man, but its this kind of thing that IMO makes new or potential buyers think most Mac users are pretentious jerks. Seriously, why does it matter how its spelled? We all know what the guy is talking about. So "you cant get into the world of Macs/Apple" unless you spell correctly? Sheesh.

He apologized, said it was a pepeve. I'm sure you have them too. iMac is different than IMac just as Civic is different than Sivic. Would you call your car a Haunda Sivic? ;) He isn't angry, just pointing out a minor detail. And Mac users definitely AREN'T jerks. nicest people around, which is why I'm happy to be switching :)

I'm not attacking you, just stating some things. Have a nice day! :D

Reaction score
He apologized, said it was a pepeve. I'm sure you have them too. iMac is different than IMac just as Civic is different than Sivic. Would you call your car a Haunda Sivic? ;) He isn't angry, just pointing out a minor detail. And Mac users definitely AREN'T jerks. nicest people around, which is why I'm happy to be switching :)

I'm not attacking you, just stating some things. Have a nice day! :D

This is retarded. Im sorry, iMac and IMac is the same thing. Sivic and Civic is not, its a different letter. I just feel ppl get too carried away with some kind of Apple elitist mentality when a capitalized letter is frowned upon, and then telling the person they "cant get into Macs/Apple unless they spell it right." Didnt know you have to pass a spelling test to buy a computer and get in the club.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is their symbol... They made it that way for a reason, the way it looks and is Recognizable. Business 101. Name/Brand/Logo recognition is amazing. Anything iWord, instantly puts "Apple" or "Mac" in your head. Exactly what they want. ISomething looks like a typo, or you want it or are it.

Reaction score
It is their symbol... They made it that way for a reason, the way it looks and is Recognizable. Business 101. Name/Brand/Logo recognition is amazing. Anything iWord, instantly puts "Apple" or "Mac" in your head. Exactly what they want. ISomething looks like a typo, or you want it or are it.

This is a Mac board. I think everyone knows what IMac, IMovie is. Sorry dude, your arguments are shallow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, we are on a Mac board. But these same things can happen out in the real world. Yes, there is such a thing outside of M-F that I am still trying to find! :gasp: Habits in one spot are generally the same elsewhere.

EDIT: I'm done, I just realized we thread jacked. My apologies to you! Its late... I gotta go to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
Its all the same even if its a mac or a MAC. whats the difference ??? they sound the same....they are spelt the same....and they are pronounced the same....

Now just wait and watch for some elitist MAC veteran to give me a smart answer.

Oh and they are all PC's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Its all the same even if its a mac or a MAC. whats the difference ??? they sound the same....they are spelt the same....and they are pronounced the same....

Isn't it ironic that "Mr-Fussy" isn't that fussy about his capitalization? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
In fact in proper English capitalization is spelt with an S and not a Z.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 2Gb Memory
Ay Caramba

Well guys, if it's really matter for someone why we should bother with that?

I still have a lot to learn and to be honest I didn't knew the "I" is "i" so from now on I would make an effort to use "i" and not "I" we humans are often doing the mistake of judging the others by whatever reasons it's in our blood.

I personally do not like to eat on a table with someone that eat with an open mouth making noises or taking the food with his/her hands, there are always a way to do the things and on this case is "i" not "I". Simple as that.

R
Dip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The difference is that a Mac is a macintosh computer while MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control... heh. It's like someone calling windows windoze, yes it's nit picky, but that's the way some people are, he has a pet peeve so what he's not forcing his ways on everyone else, it's incorrect spelling, nothing wrong with good grammar, just my POV, either way i don't know why people are arguing about this...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Makes me afraid to ask another question.

lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha don't worry about it, it's just a scrabble between old Mac users and new ones... over something pretty ridiculous, we usually aren't so aggressive ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 2ghz 1.5gb RAM and MBP Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz 2gb RAM
In reply to the original OP , An imac should be fine for video editing , but if you want to do any serious jobs you will want to get final cut , Final cut pro is awesome although final cut express is also a really good cheaper option! The best thing final cut allows you to do over imovie, is allows you to work with many more vision and audio track at once to do things like picture in picture edits , and muti layered stuff etc , also the effects are much much better and you can add filters do colour correction etc!! Also once you get used to it the interface is much faster to use!! Get final cut you wont regret it! : )

Also who to ever said its imac not Imac , get a life!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In reply to the original OP , An imac should be fine for video editing , but if you want to do any serious jobs you will want to get final cut , Final cut pro is awesome although final cut express is also a really good cheaper option! The best thing final cut allows you to do over imovie, is allows you to work with many more vision and audio track at once to do things like picture in picture edits , and muti layered stuff etc , also the effects are much much better and you can add filters do colour correction etc!! Also once you get used to it the interface is much faster to use!! Get final cut you wont regret it! : )

Also who to ever said its imac not Imac , get a life!!!

Correction: It's actually iMac ;) Haha... ok, I'm done, that was just a joke. I don't want to cause any royal rumbles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.