Dragging & Dropping...Gone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Newbie Convert
Hello,
I was told to get all the Music, Photos and Movies from my employer-owned MacBook off the laptop they gave me a year ago.

So, I grabbed the Movies folder in the lower left side of the finder pane to try and move it over to the icon for an external I had mounted and "Poof" the thing deleted?

I have downloaded a program called File Salvage but after selecting the movie icon on it's menu it looks like it is scowering/browing the entire 111 GB HD on my MacBook instead of just the trash?

I'm in bad shape here...any other way to reverse what appears to be a permanent deletion?

LMK,
Bernard

Reaction score
Thats not the movie folder, thats just essentially a shortcut to it. Just browse to where the folder actually is and you stuff should be there. (~users/You user name/movies)

OP
Bernard Mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Newbie Convert
Oh My! Thank god there is not a law preventing old Window users from switching because this is so embarrassing!

I go It!

Thanks So Much,
Bernard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Yes, many people have that mistake. It actually frustrates me a lot because I try to copy folders that are on the shortcuts bar and I end up dragging them to their doom. At which point I freak out for a split second then realize how dumb I am.

..happens to the best of us ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
And...you can drag it right back in there. Think of that left side frame as being similar to the dock...you can drag shortcuts in and out of it whenever you want.

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.