How to assign a program to a file permanently

Reaction score
Hello,

I've put VLC player on the Mac because it supports subtitles better than the quicktime. I would like the VLC to be the default application that opens AVI files. I go to the AVI select open->other... select the VLC and tick the checkbox to always open this type of file with VLC.
The problem is that this setting is working only until I restart the Mac, after a restart it defaults back to quicktime. How can I set it to always use VLC, even after a restart?

Thank you in advance,
Roy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Have you tried right-clicking on the avi file and selecting 'get info'. There you can select VLC under 'Open With' and click the 'Change All' button below.

Might not be remotely helpful, but worth a go.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't see 'Change All' button below all I have is 'always open with' and I tried that already, doesn't work. Seems like a basic requirement to me...

Reaction score
right-clicking on the avi file and selecting 'get info'. There you can select VLC under 'Open With' and click the 'Change All' button below.

I just did this for a different application and it worked. Thank you for saving me 5-10 minutes per day!

OP
R
Reaction score
I just did this for a different application and it worked. Thank you for saving me 5-10 minutes per day!

Have you tried restarting you Mac to verify that these settings still apply.
For me it goes after a restart so perhaps it saves time as long as you don't restart but I'm looking for a long lasting solution that won't require me doing this each time I start the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What OS are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
So when you click on the file and than press cmd+I that change all option seen in the attachment is not there? That is what you want to change...

Picture 1.png

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi skaheadpunk,

I tried this procedure again and it worked this time even after a restert.
Must be something I did wrong the last time.
Thanks for your time, problem solved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries :)

If you do it the other way and go to open with, it'll only change that specific file, not all of them.

On another note, I love VLC :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.