• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows 7??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
Not too sure if it's been noted.

But i came across this

Windows 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
why dont they make it look and work just like OSX and get it over with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I'm hoping this goes over better than Vista.

I like my Mac market share how I like my gas prices.

Low.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Microsoft developers ahead of schedule? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Microsoft developers ahead of schedule? lol

That statement is ironic within itself. Microsoft plans to just forget Vista, and move on, keeping the causalities to a minimal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
^^ probably the best move, honestly. Just cut your losses and move on. Though, I seriously doubt anything will come out in a year. Even some kind of beta release is difficult to believe, that is, unless it's just a warmed-over XP or (God help us) Vista.

Wait a minute, didn't that guy quit???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Vista may become to the XP line what ME was to the 9x line - a release that is universally reviled and best forgotten!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The problem with Windows is legacy support. The ability to run old hardware and software is what is essentially holding Windows back. If Microsoft were to pull an Apple and go the OS X route with an entirely new architecture and an emulation layer for older programs, Windows could actually become a great OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem with Windows is legacy support. The ability to run old hardware and software is what is essentially holding Windows back. If Microsoft were to pull an Apple and go the OS X route with an entirely new architecture and an emulation layer for older programs, Windows could actually become a great OS.

In some ways I agree, but in others, I have to disagree.

Part of what makes Windows, well, Windows is the fact that it is compatible with so many legacy applications and devices.

I for one am miffed that Apple completely cut classic Mac OS support in OS X 10.4 and .5 on the Intel Macs. I really do wish they would've kept at least some sort of emulation (even as an optional install) in the OS.

With Windows, I at least know that my legacy applications are going to run, and that old Sound Blaster that I've been using in my computers since, oh, 1998 won't have to be completely dumped for a newer (and in my opinion inferior) card.

Wow. You've brought out the part of me that still has respect for Windows.

Well, 2k and older.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can get classic support on Intel macs through a third party app

I guess part of the reason why OS X runs so well s that apple often choose just to cut out some backwards compatibility to stop bloatware

I guess MS have realised what a dog Vista has become and they need to come up with a fix that does not have the name Vista associated with it

D R

Reaction score
Hopefully no one actually thought that Vista was the last OS coming from Microsoft. It would be pretty foolish thinking if so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Hopefully no one actually thought that Vista was the last OS coming from Microsoft. It would be pretty foolish thinking if so.

I don't think anyone did... lol that's where they get all of they're money from, they would probably go out of business if they stopped makes OSs and people would be in chaos! Hehe :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Rather funny how Windows makes most of its money from OS's... when CLEARLY there is a superior alternative ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
On the Vista hate front.........

And on another Windows related note, MS has given XP a 2 year extension in production....because of lower powered computers still being made and developing countries wanting it still, they've even extended the support period so I'm gonna make a prediction, XP will have a fourth service pack probably Q2 of 2009 while Vista langushes until Windows 7 is released........yes I tried Vista, yes on a high performance computer, it runs better with XP........'nuff said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a home built computer that I have been running Linux on for quite a while. I decided to add Win XP to it recently, so that I can take advantage of a few web sites that use ActiveX controls, one of the few things that Macs just can't do. My monitor (Viewsonic VP2130b) has two video inputs, so I connected both my Mac and this PC to the same monitor and I can switch the display back and forth at the touch of one button. Not quite VMWare Fusion, but not a bad setup.

I got a fresh copy of Win XP via eBay and installed it yesterday. Whilst Vista continues to make negative headlines with its huge hardware footprint, its massive resource needs and its ongoing problems, this new copy of Win XP just slid right onto the computer like a hand into a glove. The install has to go down in my books as one of the easiest and most complete OS installs I have ever done. It picked all of the hardware right away, with the exception of a third party IDE controller I had added (in addition to the two on the motherboard).

The machine is unconditionally stable, very fast and almost a pleasure to work with.

Against a backdrop like XP, I can see why Vista is struggling so hard. We can only hope that Vista fades away quickly, replaced by a hopefully more capable successor, Windows 7.

None of this makes me pine to use Windows again though. The whole time I am in Windows I miss "simple things" like my widgets, my menu bar meters, and lots of other trappings of Mac OS X. Nonetheless, I felt compelled to add a comment about XP vs. Vista based on this very pleasant install experience. Microsoft got a lot of stuff right with XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I needed a laugh.

Linux may not be for "the average bear" yet, but I tend to agree with Derek - it is superior to Windows, at least when it is used by an experienced person. Given the choice between Windows and Linux, in a world that didn't contain Macs (gasp!) I would go for Linux. In fact, I did! When I had finally had enough of Windows I moved to Linux. It was only later that I rediscovered Macs and then moved from Linux to Mac.

Linux these days is fast, stable, FREE, and supported by a HUGE range of excellent applications, including Mac and Windows favorites such as Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice. The Linux KDE GUI is drop dead gorgeous, beating Windows XP by a mile, and Windows Vista (my gawd it's GUI is ugly) by a thousand miles.

I would recommend trying out a live CD version of openSuSE 10.3. I promise you will be amazed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're so right.

For everyone but Apple, that's a good thing.

Linux may not be for "the average bear" yet, but I tend to agree with Derek - it is superior to Windows, at least when it is used by an experienced person. Given the choice between Windows and Linux, in a world that didn't contain Macs (gasp!) I would go for Linux. In fact, I did! When I had finally had enough of Windows I moved to Linux. It was only later that I rediscovered Macs and then moved from Linux to Mac.

Linux these days is fast, stable, FREE, and supported by a HUGE range of excellent applications, including Mac and Windows favorites such as Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice. The Linux KDE GUI is drop dead gorgeous, beating Windows XP by a mile, and Windows Vista (my gawd it's GUI is ugly) by a thousand miles.

I would recommend trying out a live CD version of openSuSE 10.3. I promise you will be amazed.

Before I used OS X, I used the dual boot combo of Windows 2000 and Fedora Core. Tried Ubuntu for a while, but it just was too bloated to be of any use to me. Then I went full time OS X (just this month, in fact, was I able to get all my Windows programs to work under OS X) and I get frustrated EVERY TIME I have to use Windows.

I've gotten jaded. OS X just seems so much more intuitive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.