Firefox froze and so did my Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
the other day I was using Firefox and it froze on me. I can't excalty remember if I had tabs open but I prob had at least one tab. Anyhow it froze on me:eek: then my mouse wouldn't move either, in fact I couldn't do anything.

I had to press and hold the on/off button till the iMac rebooted.

What happened here and is this normal?

My friend had this happen to him about two weeks ago too but hasn't had the problem again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Jen from the sound of things the iMac experienced a system freeze rather than Firefox. Did you try and escape from Firefox using the escape key or Force Quit? If only the application from they should have been available.

Do a Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. Make a cup of coffee it takes about 20 minutes or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
It happens. Sometimes it helps to know if Firefox was trying to do something specific (say trying to run a Java client, for example), otherwise it's just your run of the mill computer freeze. If force quit doesn't work, you can do what harryb says, but unless it becomes frequent and random, I'd say go about business as normal.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hi harryb2448

I didn't realise I could use the escape key to close the broswer, if it does happen again I will try that. How do you do a force quit? for future reference.

Jen from the sound of things the iMac experienced a system freeze rather than Firefox. Did you try and escape from Firefox using the escape key or Force Quit? If only the application from they should have been available.

Do a Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. Make a cup of coffee it takes about 20 minutes or so.

I think I had clicked on a few things, maybe firefox was asked to do too much lol. I wish I knew excatly what I had done. Thanks for your advice too.

EGGO says It happens. Sometimes it helps to know if Firefox was trying to do something specific (say trying to run a Java client, for example), otherwise it's just your run of the mill computer freeze. If force quit doesn't work, you can do what harryb says, but unless it becomes frequent and random, I'd say go about business as normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Some web apps are unstable in non IE browsers. For example I tend to have alot of browser freezes (though not system freezes) whn using logmein in either safari or firefox. I have to go into my VM and run logmein within IE for it to be stable consistently.

Repair disk permissions is not a fix all. If your system has just had this one lockup I would say move on and work as normal. It is not time to go freaking out about anything or running maintenance steps just because a system has had a single isolated and unreproducible lockup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Jenn

To force quit, click the Apple icon. Force quit is in the menu. I believe it is also available in the contextual menu of an unresponsive application.

As stated, all browsers tend to lock up if they are trying to load something unexpected or conflicting. It happens. Sometimes it's the site, and sometimes it is caused by changes in the sites coding. Same thing with slow downs. Just one of those things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Jenn

To force quit, click the Apple icon. Force quit is in the menu. I believe it is also available in the contextual menu of an unresponsive application.

As stated, all browsers tend to lock up if they are trying to load something unexpected or conflicting. It happens. Sometimes it's the site, and sometimes it is caused by changes in the sites coding. Same thing with slow downs. Just one of those things.

She said her mouse couldn't move after a while. When that happens, Command+Option+Escape. If it gets to the point where the mouse doesn't move, it may take a while for Force Quit to come up or it may be too late. Best way to tell is to listen to the hardware if it's trying to do something.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for the information:)

I know now how ro force quit two ways which is good to know.

I'm glad I asked here as I did panic a little wondering if my iMac was going into problems, but it doesn't look that way, so I do feel better:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hey Jenn what the heck happened to Tweetie Bird? Sylvester get her or something?

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.