Bluetooth or IR wireless mouse?

Reaction score
Im thinking of getting a new wireless mouse.

Which would consume less battery on the macbook pro, a mouse which uses the mac's built in bluetooth, or a wireless mouse that uses a USB receiver?

Is one type better or more responsive than the other? Im not considering a mighty mouse because I dont like them and there overpriced.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Here are a few thoughts:

http://elfishbeauty.tripod.com/id4.html

http://www.netrino.com/node/139

Neither of these comments on power consumption, at least not that I saw.

The key differences seem to be:

1/ Infrared is point to point and depends on a clean line of sight

2/ Bluetooth has a longer range and does not require line of sight, since it is RF based not light based.

It sounds to me that Bluetooth would be a better choice for mouse and keyboard, since you could move the mouse and keyboard pretty much anywhere relative to the receiver, you could move them farther away from the receiver than with IR, and you don't have to worry about desktop clutter interfering with the signal.

My 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bluetooth using Energizer Lithium batteries. They are the longest life no doubt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Bluetooth using Energizer Lithium batteries. They are the longest life no doubt.

The mouse may last the longest, but what about the computer battery. Bluetooth drains battery, would it drain more battery than having a connected USB mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have two wireless IR USB mice (Logitech & Microsoft). The mice use 2 AA batteries, and they last a year or so of heavy use before needing replaced. With a clean line of sight to the USB receiver they have a range of 10-15 feet. Without a clean line of sight, the range is probably 6-8 feet. I would imagine a BT mouse would have a longer range.

As for the Mac battery life, the USB receiver is not broadcasting--it is only a receiver. The battery drain is non-existent. Since Bluetooth is a two way broadcasting technology, I would assume it would have a greater battery drain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Thats what I would expect. So, the end result is better performance with BT, but longer battery with the USB mouse. I think... I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
Bluetooth certainly drains the battery quicker on my ThinkPad.

OP
I
Reaction score
well performance from my current IR mouse is fine, so I will probably go for another IR mouse then

thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Having had a BT mouse for a week, there is NO way I'd go back. It also gives me back my 3 buttons that I'm comfortable with too.

Mine's a Microsoft mouse which I bought OEM for a fraction of the price of a boxed one, it's still on its first set of batteries.

BT is an 'overhead' or facility (depending on your viewpoint) and I use it to send documents to and from my Palm TX anyway.

It's personal choice (what a burden that can be) but I'd never go back to IR having used BT.

Good luck either way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I didn't even know they still made IR mice. IR seems like such an old technology, relying on line of sight and all...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not entirely sure IR is the correct term, because IR requires line of sight and it doesn't seem to be required to use the mice. At any rate, they are non-bluetooth cordless mice. Perhaps RF instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm not entirely sure IR is the correct term, because IR requires line of sight and it doesn't seem to be required to use the mice. At any rate, they are non-bluetooth cordless mice. Perhaps RF instead?
That sounds more like it!
IR is supposedly a bit more responsive than bluetooth and you certainly have a larger selection.
I wouldn't mind an RF desktop mouse as I could just leave the dongle plugged in to my hub. But if I was planning on using my mouse on the go a lot as well, I'd probably opt for bluetooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't mind an RF desktop mouse as I could just leave the dongle plugged in to my hub. But if I was planning on using my mouse on the go a lot as well, I'd probably opt for bluetooth.

This could be the deciding factor. Bluetooth does not require a received to be plugged into your USB port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I would recommend RF. I bought a Logitech VX Revolution. It's an amazing mouse. I bought it used so batteries were already installed. Battery life is amazing. It uses AAAs so I don't have to worry about recharging. I can toss a new set of rechargables and be good to go.
Setup took seconds and the Logitech software is incredible. I can configure each button different to each app so it's a million times nicer than the Mighty Mouse.
I've seen a new Logitech reciever that is super small too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Oh, the VX Revo has a storage space for the receiver built into the inside of the mouse so traveling is no hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
On a notebook you are hogging up usb ports with using a regular wireless mouse. My macbook only has 2 so if one is clogged up with a mouse receiver i'd need to lug around a USB hub too. No thanks.. I love my Bluetooth. Once its paired just turn it on and your ready to go. Logitech makes some nice bluetooth ones too if you don't like the mighty mouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.