• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

A couple of questions regarding widescreen and DVD burning

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum and also relatively new to macs, having bought my first, a MacBook Pro, just a few weeks ago.

I've made a movie on iMovie HD (because 08 is horrendous), and i dont know how to get it onto a DVD. The thing is, its about 12 GB in size, so i don't know what i have to do to get it onto a DVD. Do i have to compress it somehow, or does iDVD do this for you?

I also have a couple of issues in iDVD. When i preview the movie, grey bars appear at either side of the video (because it is in widescreen format), and i don't know how to get rid of them.

And finally.... (sorry about this!), the transitions i have added to my movie can be seen on the black bars at the top and bottom of my movie. How do i make them only affect the widescreen area?

Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions (which probably have simple answers), but i have searched everywhere and cannot find any decent instructions

If anyone can help me i would be most appreciative

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It sounds to me like you are having aspect ratio issues. What is the source of the movie that it would have black bars on top and bottom in iMovie? Is your source a DV camera that happens to allow for recording widescreen? If so, then I think you need to choose DV Widescreen when creating the iMovie project.

OP
P
Reaction score
My camera is a Sony HDR SR5E. (Hard Disc Drive). The video was recorded in widescreen and AVCHD format, although when you import AVCHD to iMovie, it automatically converts it to AVI i think.

So is there a way to change the aspect ratio to widescreen without making the whole movie again?

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, i've managed to solve the widescreen issue, but one problem i'm still struggling with is the transitions.

I have a few white fade-ins and they appear in 4:3 format rather than 16:9, causing them to be visible in the black bars at the top an bottom of the movie, which looks awful.

How do i change the transitions to only affect the letterboxed area?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It doesn't sound like you have solved the problem. The reason I say that is as far as I know, when you set your iMovie project up for widescreen, and import widescreen video, there should be NO black bars at the top and bottom of the video. iMovie is where the transition issue needs to be fixed.

iMovie 08 converts AVCHD to Apple Intermediate Code during the import process, not AVI.

Also, as far as I know, iMovie HD does not allow you to change the aspect ratio or video type after you have created the project. iMovie 08 does because it also allows you to mix and match types within a project.

I quickly looked at the specs of your camera and noticed it does not have firewire so my first question is; How are you getting the AVCHD video into iMovie HD?

If you recorded HD widescreen on the camera then the only iMovie video format that makes sense to me is HDV 1080i. You chose that when you first create the project. Your video should then fill the video window in iMovie and you will not have the transition issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've made a movie on iMovie HD (because 08 is horrendous), and i dont know how to get it onto a DVD. The thing is, its about 12 GB in size, so i don't know what i have to do to get it onto a DVD. Do i have to compress it somehow, or does iDVD do this for you?

The easiest way to send video to iDVD from iMovie 08 is to share it. Select the Share menu item in iMovie 08 and then select "Media Browser..." and finally choose the medium (640x480) or maybe the large selection. Once that finishes rendering, open iDVD, create the appropriate aspect ratio, choose a theme, add a movie button via the plus sign on the bottom right, and via the Movies tab, find your shared movie in the list and drag it to the button.

An alternative way is to export the movie from IM08 as a Quicktime movie in an appropriate size and then import it into iDVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.