Making the plunge tonight

Reaction score
Tonight I will be ordering my first macbook pro and office 08 for mac on the online apple store. I am so excited and cant wait to get home to place my order. Anything I should know and also, what are yalls opinion of Microsoft office 08 for mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I personally use Office 2008. Everyone else in my company uses Outlook. We also have many forms which were created in Word that I use for work. However, if it were not for my job, I would hold off on purchasing Office until to test drive the iWorks package that comes with your new Mac. You may find that you actually like Pages, Mail and Keynote better than Word, Entourage (Outlook), and PowerPoint.

OP
A
Reaction score
I personally use Office 2008. Everyone else in my company uses Outlook. We also have many forms which were created in Word that I use for work. However, if it were not for my job, I would hold off on purchasing Office until to test drive the iWorks package that comes with your new Mac. You may find that you actually like Pages, Mail and Keynote better than Word, Entourage (Outlook), and PowerPoint.

From what I heard, office 08 was overall a great product except for Excel. Since Excel doesnt support VBA or something like that. How well does Iwork convert stuff to office files for use in office? I most likely will need office becuase not only will I need it for the community college but also I plan on buying CS3 in the future for web development.

Also, I cant stand Outlook or Outlook Express. Both are junk IMO. Personally, I prefer Calypso, I use it at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Intel Core2Duo 2.0GHz, 1GB Ram, 120Gb HD.
As far as word processing is concerned, I've used Pages and Word 08, word being by far the better option in my opinion. In pages the spellcheck and proofreading tools are awful in comparison to word and the microsoft layout is much more intuative, more obvious formatting options and no functions hidden away in silly places (so far). Also compatability is a big issue, formatting tools differ between the two programs so even if you save in a word compatible format when using pages (rich text or something similar I think) your document may not be exactly as it was when you transfer it to office.
Microspft Entourage is a nice mac version of outlook, sets up accounts well etc, but it does suffer a common flaw in that it is slow.
The my day application is nice too, not an amazing technical advance or anything but a useful organisation tool thats easy to use and well linked in with entourage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another vote for Office 2008. Make sure when you install Office 2008, the free trial version which will probably be pre-installed on your new MacBook Pro is uninstalled - Office should do that but it has been known to miss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.