• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Copying DVD's

C

CitizenKane007

I just bought a Power mac G4 1.25 Ghz with a superdrive in it.
I am wondering if it is possible to copy Retailed DVD on another DVD with my mac. And will it be possible to listen to the copy on anny home DVD Player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Yes.

But doing so with any DVD's you don't own is illegal.

We do not support piracy here.

If you are looking to make legal backups of the DVD's you own, then there are some tools available at dvdrhelp.com.

OP
C

CitizenKane007

Copying DVD

I am wondering if it is possible to copy Retailed DVD on another DVD with my mac. And will it be possible to listen to the copy on anny home DVD's :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Emrys said:
Yes.

But doing so with any DVD's you don't own is illegal.

We do not support piracy here.

If you are looking to make legal backups of the DVD's you own, then there are some tools available at dvdrhelp.com.

agreed dont pirate

as for if it will work in your dvd player it all depends on the brand of disc not all brands work in all dvd players

OP
C

CitizenKane007

Legal

That's it, i just want to make copys of my own DVD's. I have a DVD in my second house and i dont want to always carry my collection.

Francis

OP
H

hokiethang

CitizenKane007 said:
I am wondering if it is possible to copy Retailed DVD on another DVD with my mac. And will it be possible to listen to the copy on anny home DVD's :p

I do not know of any software for the mac that allows DVD pirating. It all depends on the DVD player whether legally burned DVDs work. Most newer ones work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
There might also be some tools on Versiontracker.com that copy DVD's as well.

OP
B

badbonz

My Own DVD copies...I need help

I made a project on DV for my class, finished itand madea playable DVD on my friends G4...I just got a
new G4 with superdrive and want to make copiesof my DVD I made so I can send them to family
memebers and friends. I tried to burn it but it wouldn't play after. I copied the DVD to the desktop and then
selected the floders in my copy on my desktop and dragged them to the blank image on the desktop.
Burned it and it didn't play.
what can I do?

thanks,

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
badbonz said:
I made a project on DV for my class, finished itand madea playable DVD on my friends G4...I just got a
new G4 with superdrive and want to make copiesof my DVD I made so I can send them to family
memebers and friends. I tried to burn it but it wouldn't play after. I copied the DVD to the desktop and then
selected the floders in my copy on my desktop and dragged them to the blank image on the desktop.
Burned it and it didn't play.
what can I do?

thanks,

Mike
the only thing that comes to mind on how you can copy it is using Toast 6......or if you can get a copy of the project file itself from your friends G4 and then just burn it straight from the project file on your own G4.

OP
T

The Dragon

Yes you need toast 6 or 5 for making a perfect coppy witch wil work fine and i guess apple disc copy would work to.
As for backing up your DVD's or for your other house (witch i guess is legal here in holland at least) you could best use DVD2oneX wich is comercial and you can get a trial version at www.macupdate.com witch is a perfect program for it. Exept that there are some DVD's that do have another encription on it witch DVD2oneX does not recognize. DVD remaster is somewhat the same to DVD2oneX. Then you stil need toast (also commercial software) to burn your resulting video_ts folder. This procedure works fine with me.
However i could use some help: I am a great fan of the X-men movies and i bought the 4 disc special (x-men 1&2) but i don't want to use my original DVD's with the risk of damaging them. However disc 2 does not let itself be backed up, can anyone help me? This is as far as i know legal to do in holland (where i live).
For the webmaster: This is my first post and i hope i understand your rulez well witch i want to respect otherwise let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.