Is AppleCare worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
So I've decided to get the base level Macbook Pro, 15" very soon, and I'm wondering what everyone's conclusion is on the worth of the $350 Applecare extended warranty. My current rig is a HP business laptop, and even though it came with a three year full warranty, I have to say I don't think I've used $350 worth of service in the last two years I've used it (I did have to get the hard drive replaced in the first year, since it died). Is this just a no-brainer, i.e. definitely get it? By the way, I'm in Taiwan, but I don't think that should make a difference. The guys at my local apple store (here on campus) say they can do a lot of repairs same day.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I've seen this question pop up many times and I've asked it myself.
The majority say that it is worth it and if anything does happen, they fix it with no hassle. However, there is a minority that say they have never didn't purchase the Applecare and nothing has happened.

I myself haven't purchased it - yet. I might purchase it later this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
I purchased Apple Care with my MacBook mainly because I had read about some case cracking issues and battery failures that I wanted to have covered beyond the 1 year period. As I understand it you don't have to purchase Apple Care the day you buy the machine; you can pick it up within the first year.

OP
riverteeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I understand it, here in Taiwan there's something like a 10% discount on Applecare if you buy it when you buy your mac, but yea, you can get it within the first year. Any 1st gen. Macbook pro users out there who can comment on instances where having it has saved your butt (or at least your wallet)?

One thing I hadn't considered until after posting this is that since Apple makes the hardware, the OS, and a lot of the software, having one on one support for all that for three years could be huge. I know I've wasted A LOT of time trying in vain to find answers to windows questions. That alone might make it worth it. Three years, 165 weeks, so it really only works out to be 2 bucks a week...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I purchased Apple Care with my MacBook mainly because I had read about some case cracking issues and battery failures that I wanted to have covered beyond the 1 year period. As I understand it you don't have to purchase Apple Care the day you buy the machine; you can pick it up within the first year.

:( I've had both of these issues on my MB after it was over a year old but still under two. Luckily the battery update extended the battery's warranty to two year for certain conditions (one being lowered capacity with less than 300 load cycles) and I was at 303 load cycles with 50%-75% capacity and Apple "made an exception" and replaced my battery (had they not they would have had a **** of a time explaining how it lost 25%-50% of its capacity in 3 load cycles). But that's a diffierent story.

My point is that I have experienced both of these problems and I am lucky that I came across the battery information when I did, and I guess I'll lve with the cracked casing (maybe its time for some bondo :) )

Is it "worth it" to get the extended warranty? Well you're not going to get a plain yes or no backed by numerical dollar values. Its up to you if you want the extra security and piece of mind. I wish I had gotten it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Using the search feature is worth it.

Reaction score
IMO Apple Care is the biggest scam.. Essentially, Apple wants you to pay 25-30% of the cost of your device for "Insurance".

However, in most cases (my case anyways), I feel the lifespan of most laptops is about 2-3 years. If it doesn't make it to year 2, I'll save my money and buy another one.

Think how much money Apple makes off of Applecare. Realistically, your chances of experiencing a catastrophic failure on your laptop is very slim. In most cases, the device that is most likely to fail is your hard drive. Instead of putting $350 into Apple Care, if your HD dies, spend $150 to put a much larger HD in it when it fails.

The chances of your Logic Board failing is extremely slim, in most laptops less than 2% of shipped devices.

Factor that 2% in, why would you pay 25-30% of the cost of your laptop to insure it?

If Applecare was roughly 5-10% of the cost of the laptop, then yes, I can understand purchasing it. But, you won't see me being scammed by Apple to "Protect" myself.

Same as going to any electronic store and buy a stupid warranty on every single product you buy.

Ripoff.

Reaction score
IMO Apple Care is the biggest scam.. Essentially, Apple wants you to pay 25-30% of the cost of your device for "Insurance".

However, in most cases (my case anyways), I feel the lifespan of most laptops is about 2-3 years. If it doesn't make it to year 2, I'll save my money and buy another one.

Think how much money Apple makes off of Applecare. Realistically, your chances of experiencing a catastrophic failure on your laptop is very slim. In most cases, the device that is most likely to fail is your hard drive. Instead of putting $350 into Apple Care, if your HD dies, spend $150 to put a much larger HD in it when it fails.

The chances of your Logic Board failing is extremely slim, in most laptops less than 2% of shipped devices.

Factor that 2% in, why would you pay 25-30% of the cost of your laptop to insure it?

If Applecare was roughly 5-10% of the cost of the laptop, then yes, I can understand purchasing it. But, you won't see me being scammed by Apple to "Protect" myself.

Same as going to any electronic store and buy a stupid warranty on every single product you buy.

Ripoff.

I am glad I purchased Apple Care. 2 wks ago when my keyboard was not working, hard drive almost crashed, and the CPU was failing APPLE fixed my MBP will no questions.

IMO: At least Apple lets their customers use their warranty unlike other computer manufactures.

Reaction score
Many if not most credit card companies will DOUBLE your warranty -- up to one year additional. I know that American Express does this, but so does Visa -- at least with my Visa card. I once had a powerbook break down after nearly two years. The screen had to be replaced, costing about $700 total. AmEx picked up the tab without a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I've used applecare twice. Once for a faulty ipod nano and again for a macbook with a faulty logic board

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
here is my take on it:

ive had 4 machines now

1.83 CD white macbook (still in my possession)
2.2 C2D white MB (gone)
2.16 MBP
and now a 2.4 MBP

the 1.83, bless its little cpu heart, is cracking all over like a plumbers butt! granted it was the first macbook i pulled apart, so it may be myself that caused it, but i doubt it. the left side has two major seems starting. One at a screw (left side closest to user), and on in front left corner. This machine wouldve probably loved applecare. the battery was replaced 2x (in the first year though), and nothing more

the 2.2 MB, which i ebayed, was junk. it was wearing like crazy after only 4 months of light palm use. the material felt cheaper.

the 2.16 MBP, was actually replaced within a day. IT had 40 dead pixels on my return home, which i was very mad about. again, manufacturing defect.

my current purchase, the 2.4 Penny MBP, is cake. nothing wrong with it at all.

i always wait till the end of the first year and decide 2 things:

1. am i going to keep the machine (if not, i sell it 10 months into ownership, so new user can buy applecare if they want)
2. have i had issues with it? build quality holding up? etc. if any of these are negative responses, i probably look into apple care, or sell the machine.

to this day, i have not kept a machine more than 10months, with the exception of selling the 1.83 to my girlfriend, who by the way loves the little guy.

applecare? if you have the money, and plan to keep the machine, do it. If you like to upgrade like me, its better spent on a new machine.

edit: i think we all agree that cpu power has reached a point where Most of us dont need any more. the few that do, are those cutting edge guys (like me). i dont need more, but itd be nice :) if the machine serves your purpose in 1 yr's time, chances are it will in 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I can tell you from personal experience that AppleCare is so VERY worth it. So many things can go wrong with a notebook, and many of them did with my PowerBook G4. I think the service Apple offers is completely unmatched by Dell or any other manufacturer I've seen friends deal with for their computer repairs and whatnot, both in results and politeness throughout the whole thing. There's a chance it'll be unnecessary, but that security is worth it in my opinion. Besides, you have a whole year from the purchase of the machine to decide anyway.

OP
riverteeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great responses! Thanks everyone.

Slashdot, not sure where you get your mac products, but the way I figure it, $350 is only 17% of $2000 (MBP 2.4 Penyrn).

Good advice, kgeier82. Maybe it's worth waiting till I've had it for a few months. However, my usual cycle for a notebook has been 2.5 to 3 years, so what you say about processor needs is true for me. Having a three year plan allows me to sell it after 2.5 years and give the buyer that assurance you're talking about.

Although this doesn't apply only to the MBP, have people found Applecare useful for OS or software questions / problems? Or is Mac Forums just as good or better? :)

Reaction score
Many if not most credit card companies will DOUBLE your warranty -- up to one year additional. I know that American Express does this, but so does Visa -- at least with my Visa card. I once had a powerbook break down after nearly two years. The screen had to be replaced, costing about $700 total. AmEx picked up the tab without a problem.

Bingo! This is correct.. Most people don't even realize that their credit cards will add additional warranty.. Amex especially is really good about this. Thanks for bringing this up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.2GHz 4GB RAM 200GB @ 7200rpm l 30GB iPOD
for a $3500 investment, can you really risk it?
i bought the plan. this is also my first Mac, so, why not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo

How do you go about filing a claim? I bought a digital camera with my WaMu visa and purchased an extended warranty, but if WaMu is going to cover the same amount of time for free I'll see if I can cancel the warranty. I also have an AmEx that I guess I'll use for all future electronics purchases :)

My MacBook was bought through my checking account though :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Bingo! This is correct.. Most people don't even realize that their credit cards will add additional warranty.. Amex especially is really good about this. Thanks for bringing this up!

I have a Visa card... how do I go about doing that? EDIT... maybe i should just ask my bank, lol EDIT

ok, so I just stole the thread, but I will add my $0.02. My opinion, and notice that I say opinion because there is no sure-fire way to say yes or no on APP, is that you hold out for 10 months and then make your decision. APP is like poker... you can count the cards, but some of it is still luck :)

Reaction score
for a $3500 investment, can you really risk it?
i bought the plan. this is also my first Mac, so, why not.

First off, a macbook is not an investment, second, if you understood basic economics, purchasing insurance for 15% of the cost of something that really has about 2-3% risk is a poor way to spend money.

Applecare clearly makes Apple money (in boat loads). Applecare is what we call 100% margin, meaning, Apple claims any Applecare purchase as pure profit.

Your best bet as mentioned earlier is to purchase your $3500 device on a credit card that doubles your warranty period. In this case, you're getting 2 years of warranty for $0. Chances are you current credit card may already double your warranty and you don't even know it.

Would you pay 15% of the cost of something to give you 1 year of warranty in a device you may not even have after two years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
First off, a macbook is not an investment, second, if you understood basic economics, purchasing insurance for 15% of the cost of something that really has about 2-3% risk is a poor way to spend money.

Applecare clearly makes Apple money (in boat loads). Applecare is what we call 100% margin, meaning, Apple claims any Applecare purchase as pure profit.

Your best bet as mentioned earlier is to purchase your $3500 device on a credit card that doubles your warranty period. In this case, you're getting 2 years of warranty for $0. Chances are you current credit card may already double your warranty and you don't even know it.

Would you pay 15% of the cost of something to give you 1 year of warranty in a device you may not even have after two years?

Does the Juniper Visa card offer this? If so, sign me up!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.